cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Install - Old BT Socket

FIXED
Studio_Muppet

Fibre Install - Old BT Socket

Hello! Smiley I have my install date confirmed for Plusnet Fibre but have a few questions.

I've been told I'll need a new phone line as I'm switching from a Virgin Media cable only service. I spot a BT faceplate with socket next to my front door but it is a vintage LJU (poss 1980s?) certainly has a RJ11 socket so a modern phone plugs in fine (although line is dead).

So will the engineer that visits be able to use the wires connected to that old LJU socket for the install of the new fibre socket?  ...or will it be a case of running new cabling to the house?

Also will a BT engineer visit or contracted communications company (eg. Kelly)?

Cheers Thumbs_Up

Tags (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Fibre Install - Old BT Socket

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Order.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @Studio_Muppet 

Generally speaking, if there's an older BT socket there they may use that socket but update it to the latest NTE. If any new cabling needs installing then the engineer may just route it through to that socket but we won't know for certain until the day.

Having said that checking the notes on our supplier's systems appears to show that there's a spare underground pair available which they'll most likely use to install the line.

If you have any issues on the day or any further questions just let us know

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Studio_Muppet

Thanks for the information @MatthewWheeler very helpful Thumbs_Up

As you say a lot will be depend on the engineer inspection on the day but I'll keep my fingers crossed that the original BT wiring can be used as I can tell that was dropped into the property back when it was built in 1981 so it is neatly running out of sight, must be cemented in underground. I even have a little brown manhole cover right outside the property embossed with the words "P O"  so who knows, this could conveniently be the telecoms connection point? (See attached)

Thanks again for your time. Smiley

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @Studio_Muppet.

If it's labelled PO then it'll be a duct box back from when Openreach was a sub-division of the Post Office hence the PO initials.

If I was a betting man then chances are this may be where the pair is so on the day the engineer will likely open it up to connect the line up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team