cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP switch to Plusnet gone seriously wrong

stone23
Hooked

Re: FTTP switch to Plusnet gone seriously wrong

Hi, glad to hear you're all sorted, I've now asked for my case to be passed to the CAT team 🤞

JonnyWizz

I'm glad I found this thread.  I was seriously considering switching my FTTP from BT to Plusnet, but this confirmed my fears, if the switch goes wrong I could be out of internet for a while, and any saving I make on the internet would be wiped out by having to buy train tickets to go to the office when I can't work from home.

XMB

I have fallen fowl of this issue switching from BT FTTP. My BT service stopped working on the nominated switch day (4/4/24) but the Plusnet device never activated. I have been told the issue is with BT Wholesale and now have to wait until they fix it.

As I work from home I have had to go out and buy a 4G router and data SIM to get me back online, which has probably blown the savings I expected to make by switching!

If this is a frequent occurrence one might suspect BT Wholesale do this to dissuade people from switching, or maybe their systems are related to the ones the Post Office use! Either way switching providers is a normal function, so this should not happen.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@JonnyWizz wrote:

I'm glad I found this thread.  I was seriously considering switching my FTTP from BT to Plusnet, but this confirmed my fears, if the switch goes wrong I could be out of internet for a while, and any saving I make on the internet would be wiped out by having to buy train tickets to go to the office when I can't work from home.

Reading the thread carefully the issue was not switching TO Plusnet but it would seem to be switching FROM BT - the issues were within BT's systems.

Elsewhere we have seen the report of a user switching FTTP to Plusnet and after some protracted investigation, it transpired that the use had one of the earlier 4 port ONT units.  The user reasonably expected the new service to be on port 1 the same as their old service.  After days of head scratching and inconclusive investigation, it was discovered that BT Openreach had provisioned the new Plusnet FTTP service on port 2 ... so diddly squat to do with Plusnet!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

XMB

Just an update that the Plusnet service went live on the 08/04/2024. As mentioned before Openreach had done the switch at their end but BT Wholesale had not then acted on this to make the switch. Not a Plusnet issue but one that may impact any ISP when switching providers. Ofcom should do more to pressure BTW (the man in the middle) to stop these issues from occurring.