cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC question

norush
Grafter

FTTC question

I've had a faultless 80/20 fttc connection for the past few years and phoned PN to tell them I would be moving house at the end of June; had already put the new address into BT availability checker and good news, fttc is available at your address albeit slightly slower than the current 80/20 but not to worry, that will do for me or so I thought.

Nice lady at PN says sorry, no fttc at that address; most you can get is 0.8Mbps broadband and was adamant that was the only option at this time. Spoke to BT and they said fttc is available at new address but only fibre 150 which of course is faster than my current PN fibre so went ahead and signed up.

I'm gutted that PN is unable to move me onto a similar fttc deal; can somebody from PN towers tell me what on earth is going on please?

9 REPLIES 9
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: FTTC question

I suspect you’ve signed up to FTTP because it’s not possible to achieve speeds of 150mbps on FTTC. Unfortunately we don’t offer a FTTP product, this is where the fibre goes all the way to your property.

Post up a screenshot of the broadband availability checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL redacting your address from the top.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
norush
Grafter

I asked whether this was a FTTP product but the BT advisor I spoke with said no, it was a G.fast service via the cabinet and was the only option open to me; does that make sense?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@norush  The only explanation I can suggest is that the FTTC cabinet has no spare connections but G.Fast is available because that comes from a side pod on the PCP ( Telephone cabinet ) on different hardware.

Have you tried the checker link in message #2, you may find it says "waiting list" for FTTC.

Unfortunately Plus net do not offer G.Fast either although I am surprised BT have offered it as you need more or less 80/20 speeds on FTTC to be close enough to the cabinet to get a reliable G.Fast service.

norush
Grafter

@RealAleMadrid, yes you're quite right, vdsl shows as waiting list; g.fast clean shows downstream as 170.6-226, upstream 14.1-33 and waiting list as "green" so what do you reckon to my chances or have BT been less than honest with me?!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@norush  Looks like my theory was correct.😊 Those G.Fast estimates look pretty good so the house must be quite close to the cabinet, what speeds did the checker give for VDSL (FTTC)?

I am not too sure about G.Fast it is pushing the technology to the limits possible on copper phone lines. It works well for some but other lines just struggle, particularly with upload speeds.

However if it is the only option you may have to take a chance although it is likely that VDSL may come back again at some point by increased capacity or spare ports becoming available, you just don't know when that will happen so impossible to plan ahead.🤔

norush
Grafter

@RealAleMadrid  yes you're quite right and I now appreciate that PN don't offer g.fast which is a shame as I've been really happy with PN over the past four and a bit years.

Cab is only about 300 metres from house so vdsl clean is between 68.2 and 80 down, 19 and 20 up

Advisor I spoke to reckons I'll get around 150Mbps all day long so happy days!

At least PN told me I could leave without penalty so long as I went with BT, mind you I only had another 3 months of contract left.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@norush 

Word on the streets is that PlusNet will be offering FTTP come the autumn which is over 3 years since the Trial they ran closed to new applicants.

It may just be they do g.Fast at the same time. Or it could be they stick with their 38/10 & 78/20 packages and anybody wanting faster has to go elsewhere. Only time will tell.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@norush  G.Fast should be OK with those FTTC estimates, good of Plusnet to let you leave with no penalty. Hope the house move and G.Fast go well for you.😊   I'm waiting for FTTP but not likely to get it anytime soon.☹️