cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing customer upgrade process from ADSL to VDSL

HeadFullOfWool1
Dabbler

Existing customer upgrade process from ADSL to VDSL

I ordered a package upgrade from ADSL to VDSL (fibre), which is scheduled (according to their last email) for changeover today, 2nd Feb (but no time of day indicated).  I have a NetGear router that supports both ADSL and VDSL modes, but I also ordered the PlusNet router option as a "just in case" scenario.  The PlusNet router arrived today.

I cannot find further instructions online/member centre, etc, regarding what to expect in the changeover process in general - the info in email from PlusNet lacks sufficient detail (I'm a fairly details-oriented person) about what will happen.

So my primary question is, do I have to connect the new "supplied" router in order for the upgrade to maybe get "signalled" back up the line to proceed?  (The router pamphlet says it will go through some sort of initial config, but there's no mention of how it gets my account sign-in details - is that preset by PlusNet before router delivery?)

Or can I leave my existing router in place and simply change the mode from ADSL to VDSL in the connection settings.  (I have tried this a couple of times today, but the fibre mode is not active on my line yet).

Just didn't want to go through the unpacking/connecting process on the supplied router if I didn't have to.  And as the PN system knows I'm an upgrade-existing customer (so must have a router already) rather than a new customer, I thought they'd maybe add some simple paperwork or at least mention in the email to cover this scenario.

Anyone else been through this and can offer their experience comments?

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Existing customer upgrade process from ADSL to VDSL

Hi @HeadFullOfWool1

Welcome to the forums.

I've done the same.

It can be any point today, the only indication I had was when the landline went down. Only for 10 minutes or so. You get excited and think "Hope this is not a fault, and a temporary outage and they are sorting my line out" Smiley

So as sad as I am, I walked to the end of the street, where there are some corner shops. There is also a cab there and saw a BT Openreach van, with the cab open and I was thinking "Oooh are they doing our line". So I did go out for two reasons as I needed to buy some stuff from the shops, and the more important thing is to nose (as it is on the way) to see if anything is going on. (Fair enough in retrospect the main reason was to check out the cab, but it doesn't feel so bad if I justify it to myself saying I only did it for the shopping Tongue).

When I did it, I just plugged the PlusNet Hub One in and it is easy. Just leave it from 10 minutes and it authenicates.

I plugged it in, checked internet works, did a speedtest (of course first thing you'll do will when you upgrade to Fibre)

it was all pretty painless for me and hopefully yours will work out fine too. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Or can I leave my existing router in place and simply change the mode from ADSL to VDSL in the connection settings.  (I have tried this a couple of times today, but the fibre mode is not active on my line yet).

Your existing router SHOULD auto detect that the line has changed from ADSL to VDSL and resynch. Since it is already setup with your username/password which doesn't change, then the changeover should be automatic. Worst case is that (as you suggest) you may need to manually change the mode. There should be no need to use the PN Hub one at all.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes as @MisterW says, if you're happy with your router then I don't think you need to change it.
The Hub One is good for a backup router just in case.

Our line wasn't done until around 4pm, so give it a couple of hours and it may be working.

HeadFullOfWool1
Dabbler

Cool - that's exactly what I was hoping.  Thanks.

leno51
Dabbler

I'm getting a bit worried about my upgrade ,, the line dropped and then restarted on the old speeds ... I also restarted the router but its the same ..Just got it  !!!!!!!!!!!CheesyCheesyCheesy

HeadFullOfWool1
Dabbler

Well, the changeover date has been and gone, but with the exception of the arrival of the Hub One router in the post, nothing  happened... and no further communications from PlusNet to indicate what or why (e.g. "a delay occurred because of X", or it will happen at "Y" instead). 

Reading elsewhere in the forum, there seem to be plenty of other customers who have had similar issues.  Of course PlusNet rely on the OpenReach engineer to go to site and do some cabinet work (or at least, that's my understanding at the moment) - but surely there is some level of inter-business tracking available to them that can be auto-relayed through to the customer?

In this day and age of parcel delivery tracking, I'd have thought that an app carried with the engineer's existing kit that is directly part of the assigned job management tool would be able to do this without adding any additional task loading to the engineer.  Or are they not really "21C" and still using paper?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@HeadFullOfWool1 have you looked at the tickets in the member centre for the latest updates on your upgrade?

And does it have any information about your upgrade on the DSL Checker?

HeadFullOfWool1
Dabbler

Hi @Mustrum - which tickets?  I've been hunting through the Member Centre (under my login), but cannot see anything describing this.

The closest thing I found before was an order delivery conformation of the Hub One. (Member Centre -> Account Summary -> then on the row dated for the Hub One dispatch, click the "View Order Status" (image attached).

The fibre order is shown on there as pending from date January 1970!  (Probably a system default date used just to indicate any pending order item).  Is that what you meant?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

In days of old you could raise a "ticket" on PlusNet with any question you liked. The term "ticket" is still used these days but is a bit confusing as on your Members page you need to look at "View my Questions"

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@HeadFullOfWool1

It could be either that you have not been upgraded or that you have and Plusnet have failed to change the profile on their system (yes it happens).

Try going into your router's admin pages and look for confirmation that your link is G993.2 this is VDSL. If you find G992.x then you are still on the old ADSL network.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @HeadFullOfWool1

I can see your fibre order has completed today. Please get back in touch if you need any further assistance.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
HeadFullOfWool1
Dabbler

Thanks - yes it switched over this morning, after a bit of indecision by the router (my own) as to which mode it was meant to be in.  I left it doing it's automatic retries in VDSL mode a few times and it eventually connected.

Had one drop of connection so far, but I strongly suspect this is my router - not the Hub One, but a NetGear Nighthawk D7000v2.  It would do this sporadically on ADSL too, and there's a long thread about it on the NetGear forums...  Latest firmware (1.0.0.47_101) I think has improved it somewhat, but that only came out last week. Had hoped the issue was more on the aDSL rather than the vDSL, but time will tell...

Back on-topic, I'm certainly pleased so far with the speed upgrade with the Fibre package.

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Thanks for getting back in contact @HeadFullOfWool1

Glad to hear it is up and running. Don't hesitate to get back in contact if you need any further help.

Thanks 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team