cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Customer - Upgrade to Fibre - New Router not yet received

Sianiparni

Existing Customer - Upgrade to Fibre - New Router not yet received

I can't find any email confirmation of my upgrade so want to be sure that it has all gone through.

Also would like confirmation that my internet will not drop out if activation goes ahead as planned tomorrow and if the new router has still not arrived. Was told that new router was a requirement.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Existing Customer - Upgrade to Fibre - New Router not yet received

@Sianiparni  If the upgrade happens and you don't have a FTTC (VDSL2) modem router you will not have a working internet connection. Do you have any indication of when the upgrade is supposed to happen, you say planned for tomorrow but it could be delayed by Openreach engineers availability.

Sianiparni

@RealAleMadrid I was given a conversion date of 5th January, but haven't heard anything since. Where would I go to find out if it is delayed please?
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Sianiparni  Apart from calling Plusnet Customer Service which is difficult, you may have a long wait to get through, you could try looking at tickets (questions) on your account using this link (you will need to log in)

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search 

If there is nothing in recent open or closed questions I would guess that Plusnet have not placed an upgrade order.

Sianiparni

@RealAleMadrid Thank you! Really appreciate your help. Will try the link.
munkfish
Grafter
Fixes: 3

@Sianiparni I'm in exactly the same position as you - I upgraded my account from ADSL to Fibre on 26th December and ordered a VDSL router at the same time, paid the £6.99 for delivery (I think payment went from my bank on 29th Dec).  Got an activation date of the 5th January.  That date came and went without any activation (and no router delivery as yet).

Spent hours on the phone waiting to talk to someone.  Finally got through to someone and they did mention the activation had been delayed but didn't know why.  After putting me through to provisioning to try and find out why the delay, the line was disconnected. Sad  Very annoying.  Rang back but gave up after about 30mins on hold again.

After reading this thread I checked the wizard page and thankfully I can see an open ticket from when I managed to speak to a CS agent on the phone, so I've just added a message to that ticket asking them to pleae look into it.  Hope that will help but rather concerned at the moment. Sad

Did you get anywhere with your order?

Sianiparni

@munkfish Morning!

Totally the same situation. I used the link above and could see their emails to me confirming the 5th, so knew that it had gone through. And found the payment for the 6.99, as for a moment doubted that I'd ordered the router. There was also a service note saying that the transfer would be completed by the 19th (which wasn't in an email to me) - so I went away content that something had been ordered but having no clue when it would swap over.

Still haven't received a router from them, so went away and ordered a tp link one compatible with the fibre, just incase it does sporadically switch over and I'm left with no internet access. (Higher stakes now with homeworking! Don't think hot spotting off my phone would cut it).

I couldn't face the long waits on the phone - and gutted that they're not using the online web chats (as find them marginally less frustrating) - so can't see a way to ask them anything.

I went for the upgrade staying with PlusNet because homeworking made me nervous about the idea of changing provider, but this still leaves me a bit on edge 🙈 thought it would be straight forward, lol.

Grateful for this forum and the link so that I can monitor those tickets above as has given me some visibility. But 9th Jan and still no router in the post. Will update this thread when/if I get anything (internet, router or otherwise) Smiley

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Sianiparni wrote:

I couldn't face the long waits on the phone - and gutted that they're not using the online web chats (as find them marginally less frustrating) - so can't see a way to ask them anything.

I went for the upgrade staying with PlusNet because homeworking made me nervous about the idea of changing provider, but this still leaves me a bit on edge 🙈 thought it would be straight forward, lol.

It is very strange how some companies seem to be struggling - even down to not providing online chat facilities. I've been in touch with several utility/telco companies recently (using online chat and phoning) and, much to my surprise, I have been quite impressed at the speed that they have responded to both on chat and phones. Yes, they all mentioned home working at the initial stage of contact but not that you'll be waiting a long time. That is pretty diabolical. Maybe some companies try that bit harder.

As for poor Openreach getting the blame. From recent experience with the re-activating of an old line (including supply of fibre broadband - from ADSL). Everything (hub / digital phone etc) arrived like clockwork and it all happened on the dates that had been supplied. I found changing ISP very easy and I doubt if I'm alone on that one.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
munkfish
Grafter

@Sianiparni yes great minds, I was thinking of buying one of those cheap and cheerful TP Link £30 jobs 'just in case'.  I'm still umming and ahhing about going for something more substantial but the market for modem routers seems to have gone mad recently so still undecided.

Lets hope things resolve themselves then in next week or so.  I'm going to battle again with phone again on Monday I think if I haven't heard anything on the ticket that's open on my account.  Steeling myself for that, yesterday was brutal waiting for 'just' an hour or so. Sad

munkfish
Grafter

@idonno it is shocking how bad the situation is with PN right now.  Looking over this "My Order" forum is very depressing if you have a problem, so many people in the same situation, seems like more than ever.  Even more depressing is the 'regulars' almost apologizing to first time posters asking for help because they know that they're going to have to deal with being on hold for hours to get stuff sorted and there is effectively no other way of getting support any more.

I don't know why PN don't make more use of the ticketing system rather than relying on phone support.  I can't understand how it can be more cost effective to service / promote phone call support rather than ticket based support, or email support?  With email / tickets - any kind of written support for that matter - the person asking for help has forever to type up their problem and lay out all the details of the issue in a way that means the problem is more likely to get sorted more quickly.  And then if something goes wrong then at least the customer has a written account of what has been said and on what dates etc etc.

But then equally baffling is the whole business model where loyal customers subsidise all the new customer deals... Does make me wonder what the 'true' cost of phone and broadband would be at Plusnet if it weren't for this kind of subsidisation.

munkfish
Grafter

Well, I rang up just now and got on to an advisor in only 5 minutes!  My activation date has been set for 15th Jan and the router will be here on or before that date (was a bit worried about the 'on or about' bit but fingers crossed it will be in next few days).  So that's something to look forward to!

When I queried why the 5th Jan activation date was missed the agent mentioned something about Openreach but not quite sure what explanation he was trying to give... mmm listening back to a recording now he said: 'normally we depend on the availability of Openreach engineers, we hold(?) our date and our voice through Openreach's network, so we just confirmed the next availability for the fibre engineer ...(?) will be on the 15th...' etc.  Anyway whatever, he got the job done so thanks to him.  Kudos.

Wehey just had an email through as well to confirm the router order, says another email will be sent when the router is dispatched.

@Sianiparni hopefully you'll be fine.