cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer Booked For New Line Install, Advice Sought

Glenn
Grafter

Engineer Booked For New Line Install, Advice Sought

Hi, I moved and also moved my Plusnet account with me and started a new contract and have an engineer booked for a new line install on 26th Feb.

In this flat there are multiple phone sockets, there are 2 sockets beside livingroom door frame, one comes in livingroom window and has a very small box just under windowsil, it tracks round skirting boards and around livingroom door and into a telewest socket.

The second socket in livingroom right beside it is a BT one, I tracked that out through livingroom door frame and around skirting boards and door frames through the hall and is connected to a line coming into the small bedroom with another small box under windowsil.

There's a third socket in big bedroom beside livingroom, it's BT, I tracked that out through bedroom door frame and up the side of livingroom door which is beside bedroom door, but that line has been cut 6 inches from the top of livingroom door frame.

I'm assuming the BT master socket to be the one in livingroom fed from small bedroom line at the back of the flat, my question is can/will the openreach engineer join the line that's cut to the line feeding into BT socket in livingroom ?, making the BT socket in big bedroom beside livingroom the master socket ?

I want the router to be in big bedroom. Smiley

5 REPLIES 5
Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Re: Engineer Booked For New Line Install, Advice Sought

Hi @glen, thanks for getting in touch I have responded via a support ticket on your account here

Glenn
Grafter

@Satss Thanks for that. Smiley

In the general discussion here:

If the engineer was willing/able to put a join between the line coming in from back of flat that goes into livingroom, and put another join to the line that's cut that goes into bedroom, that would mean a small box needed at each join point, and would that be very bad for a broadband connection ?

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @Glenn 

When the Engineer carries out the installation, they will advise what is the appropriate area to install your master socket and what work can they carry out.

If you do not receive you Minimum Access Line Guaranteed Speed, then we can raise a Fault on this matter, and if needed, we can assign an Engineer to investigate this matter further.

At this moment it is difficult to determine if the installation method will impact your broadband connection.

Should you require any further assistance, please do get back in touch with us.

Many thanks.

Glenn
Grafter

Ok, the Openreach engineer has been and set up my line, he used existing cable and cut it just before it entered livingroom and put a small junction box on wall above skirting board and tracked a new line into bedroom and fitted an openreach 5c master socket.

He tested the line and all was good, he even stapled a few bits of loose cable that had been lifted by carpet fitters, that was so good of him, a very nice guy.

I called plusnet to see if they could get my broadband going and they got the engineers report while I was on the phone, up and running now.

I ran speed tests on 3 different sites and getting a stable 17.6 Mbps download speed and 1.1 Mbps upload. 

So, it couldn't have gone smoother, from moving to getting new line installed and getting up and running straight away.

Plusnet, you did do me proud. Smiley

Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Hi @Glenn, glad to hear that's gone so smoothly for you - especially as we have been able to get your master socket in the bedroom you wanted.

If you need any assistance in the future please feel free to get back to us on here

Kind Regards