cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duty of care to vulnerable clients

arundel

Duty of care to vulnerable clients

My order for phone+fibre should have been done on Sep 3rd, but now I've been told it will be the 16th because Openreach have a problem. OK, I understand things happen, but...

This installation is for a vulnerable elderly couple, and is needed to support 24-hour care which is starting in 10 days time. The *big* problem, though, is that their phone line stopped working on the original installation date, so they have no way to contact us or call 999 if there's an emergency.

I've talked to phone support on a couple of occasions, but just get told that it's Openreach, there's nothing they can do. and then I get sent another message about the new installation date. Talking to them doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

Is there a way to escalate this, because we're talking about duty of care and safeguarding, and not just an inability to stream Netflix...

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Duty of care to vulnerable clients

@arundel 

Presumably this is a new connection and you are awaiting the availability of an Openreach technician?

To be honest currently Plusnet Customer Service is so bad I wonder if you would be better off going to an ISP with better access should you need urgent help.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

arundel

There isn't a previous ISP... they're in their 90s and don't know what the internet is 😉

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just picked this up for you and I'm working through our supplier's welfare process to hopefully get this expedited. 

I've just tried calling and left you a voicemail. I'll try calling again tomorrow around the same time but please feel free to reply back here or to the ticket I've opened on the account in the meantime. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi @arundel 

This is far from ideal, I can totally understand that, but do they have mobiles? If not I would get some cheapo PAYG ones, so they are covered to call yourself or 999 if needed.

It what I used to do with parents, though they never used them. It is worth it IMHO and it will put your mind at rest that they are not cut off from the outside world if they need help.

arundel

*sigh* We've tried that, but anything new scares them and they can just about use the phone they've had for the last 10 years!
arundel

Thanks for picking this up. What number did you ring? I don't see a voicemail on mine.

julian
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@arundel 

Just in case you don't yet know how to drive this forum yet:

To direct a message at Adam just type @ then select him from the drop down list that will appear. He will then get a flag to say that you have a message for him. It is possible that he has directed the call to your relatives.

I would send him a Private Message with your contact details. To do this double click the Adam Walker header to his post. Then scroll down to the bottom of the window that opens where you can select the send a Private Message tab.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I won't confirm which number here for obvious reasons but it's both of the contact number stored against the account. Feel free to PM me or if you can pick up emails in relation to the account you can follow the link included and send me a reply to the support ticket. Alternatively you can update contact details for the account on the member centre "account details" page on our website. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran

I know @arundel 

My dad never really got into mobiles, although I remember him buying the first ones when they came out, I remember before GSM first became widespread, and I remember the ones where you had to be near a shop with a sign before you could use it. Cost an arm and a leg, and that is before that had LCD screens let alone colour screens first came out.

Sure it was at the computer show where he got me my Amiga A500, and I know that was in 1990. Cor I feel old now.

My parents never used them - it was always me that did 😀

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I get what you mean about mobiles. I tried to get my old Mum to use one but basically she couldn't relate that the little thing in her hand was the same as the big plastic lump on the table by the front door. Even when I sat with her and rung it we never got past "it's playing a nice tune now".

Funny thing though she never had any problems with fancy kitchen gadgets.

Alex
Community Veteran

I said before on another thread:

Dad: "I turn my mobile off because no-one calls me".
Me: "Well no-one can call you as it is always switched off!".

I give up. 🙄

I was never very good at maintenance or building work like he was, but trying to get through to some people about IT can be hard work.