cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing start - no dial tone or broadband

Mobileadam

Disappointing start - no dial tone or broadband

Hi,

Just a mini-moan really. Transferred my phone line and broadband to plus.net, given activation dates for Monday for phone and Tuesday for fibre. Got text messages and emails to say all good to go. Guess what? No dial tone and no broadband!!! Support have logged it and are sending out an engineer for later this week but it is so frustrating that I'm now without phone or internet for what will be a week.

Plus I'm actually wondering what BT engineer will actually do here - I haven't changed anything, we only have some old socket (no fancy master socket thing) but our phone line always worked before. I fear that even after a visit we will still be without phone or internet.

ARGHHHHH!!!!!
5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Disappointing start - no dial tone or broadband

Sorry to hear what's happened.

Our tests aren't showing any issues which is why we need to book a engineer as that's the only way to progress the issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Mobileadam

Thanks. Will the focus of the engineer be on the 'internal' aspect only? or will they also check the cabinet / exchange to try and identify the problem. Would be most inconvenient if another booking is required for another set of diagnostics.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

The engineer should investigate everything, using your property as a starting point.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Mobileadam

An update: BT openreach provided good communication to me today regarding my 1pm until 6 appointment.

After 'testing' my line the engineer went off to check the street cabinet and confirmed it 'was the fitters fault' who previously went to the box. The problem has been remedied and we are now connected.

The interesting aspect is that the system plus.net uses to check 'it's working at our end' is clearly not good enough in this situation. It wasn't working at my end (no dial tone) so I'm unsure what 'checks' plus.net actually do as there is something missing in the middle.

Also there is a failure on the part of the original fitter - I assuming this was BT Openreach. What systems do they have in place to actually check their work before completing a job as they left me disconnected without checking.

Obviously I'll contact technical support again to obtain a refund for the time I was not receiving any service.

Just thought I would provide an update for any future customers who have a problem.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'm glad to hear that you're back up and running. If you private message me with your username I'll check your account tomorrow when I'm in the office and I'll make sure you're reimbursed so you don't need to wait on the phone.

As for us detecting a fault, for phone faults all we can do is run a line test on our suppliers system. Usually it's good at detecting a fault but sometimes it isn't. I'm sorry that in your case it came to an engineer appointment.

[Edit]

@Mobileadam Thanks for your private message. I've now issued you your refund and I've updated your ticket.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button