cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently with NowTV (Sky) and about to move house. If I switch to PlusNet, can I keep my number?

FIXED
FedUpTotalise
Hooked

Currently with NowTV (Sky) and about to move house. If I switch to PlusNet, can I keep my number?

As per the title, I am moving 100 yards, so within the same area code (Possibly even the same cabinet).

I am currently with NowTV for my broadband (Fibre to the cabinet, of 60+ MBPS) and wanted to keep my number when I move. They say they can't move the number, so I'd have to try a different provider.

Can PlusNet do this? BT say they can, but they want to charge me a lot more than what I pay now.

12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Currently with NowTV (Sky) and about to move house. If I switch to PlusNet, can I keep my num...

Thanks for your post @FedUpTotalise

If BT can, I suspect we can also as we'd use the same number porting network. Could you drop me a private message with your full address including postcode of your old & new address, and your landline number so I can take a closer look?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Currently with NowTV (Sky) and about to move house. If I switch to PlusNet, can I keep my number

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Home Phone to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
FedUpTotalise
Hooked

Re: Currently with NowTV (Sky) and about to move house. If I switch to PlusNet, can I keep my num...

Thanks . It seems that whilst you can transfer it, you can't give high speed internet, so I've had to look elsewhere.

Thanks anyway.

Ian.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@FedUpTotalise If it is Fibre to the Cabinet Plusnet should be able to provide the same speed as you get with Now TV why do you think they can't? Unless it is an availability problem at the cabinet in which you may have a problem with other suppliers.

What does this checker say is available, select the address checker option, then enter your postcode and select your address. I don't think the phone number option will work for you.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

FedUpTotalise
Hooked

Thanks for the link.

I think I'm stuck behind a number of interlinked issues.

The link confirms that when I search by address, it says that both the new and old property are served by the same cabinet and should have the same speed. You would think this a good sign. However, when I search by number it says:

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.

So the number itself is assigned to me via NowTV, via Sky, so there is reduced visibility.

When I called Plusnet, they could only commit to a 16Mbps speed, where we currently get 60. BT's website says the same.

I guess there are 'not enough spare fibre connections' in the cabinet to 'add a new one', so they say a fast connection isn't available, but if they properly thought about it, because both addresses are served from the same cabinet, they could realise they need to 'swap' one, not put in a new one.

I guess they can't 'swap' one because the current one is Sky (Via NowTV), and we'd be moving to 'not Sky'. The reason we have to move to 'not Sky' is because Sky (NowTV) can't retain the number upon a move.

Having gone through the same debate with the Plusnet, Sky and BT call centres, I have given up and gone to Virgin Business with Cable. They insist on being able to retain the number, giving me 350Mbps and for the same price or less than BT.

It's never as easy as you'd like.....

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @FedUpTotalise

To me, it seems really odd that Sky won't be able to retain your number at the new property. Though it does depend on whether the number is currently active or not, and who the range holder of the number is. We ourselves are only able to provide services based on what's available on BT's tags checker.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@FedUpTotalise  You obviously didn't read my post thoroughly, ..... " I don't think the phone number option will work for you." and it tells you why on the checker result. This could be either because it is not a BT line -- which yours is not.......

Have a look at the address checker again in the right hand column for FTTC availability does it say "Waiting List" if that is the case no orders for FTTC can placed so you are stuck, the ordering system isn't intelligent enough to know that  you want to swap to another line on the same cabinet.

Best of luck with Virgin, I have heard so many horror stories about their congestion problems and appalling customer service that I wouldn't go near them.🙄 

FedUpTotalise
Hooked

Apologies; Quite right, you did say to use the address option Smiley 

It says 'FTTC Availability' is 'Available', so I have no idea why the PlusNet and BT call centres said the best they can do is 16Mbps. Oh well. I signed up now. If anything goes wrong with the move to Virgin, I'll be back, and use this new evidence Smiley

I used to be with NTL, pre-Virgin, and they were OK, but we had no Cable in this house, hence going to ADSL.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @FedUpTotalise

Can you please send me a PM with your full address? I'll run some tests on my end to see what I can find. Entering a landline number rin the BT Availability Checker is a far more accurate way of seeing what's available at your property, however with you currently being with an MPF provider (Sky/TalkTalk), you can only enter the address, which isn't as accurate.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
FedUpTotalise
Hooked

PM Sent Smiley Thanks,

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Thanks for your time on the phone @FedUpTotalise

As discussed I've picked this up while looking at your domain issue.

It looks like capacity at the cabinet keeps slipping as there's no availability showing now. I suspect it may had been available for a brief period earlier due to someone in the area ceasing their service and someone else taking that spot. 

I'm glad to see though Virgin's in your area as an alternative for fibre. Smiley

I've PM'd you back following our conversation about your domain, in summary it should be transferred within 5 working days. 

Let us know if you've got any further queries in the meantime.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FedUpTotalise
Hooked

Thanks greatly for your help.