cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chose upgrade from DSL to fibre but nothing seems to be hapening despite being billed

PiffleTosh
Hooked

Chose upgrade from DSL to fibre but nothing seems to be hapening despite being billed

I recently chose to upgrade from a Plusnet DSL connection to the Fibre Extra connection and was told on the page I did the order on that it would occur on 12/07/16 (ie today) and that I would be billed for the newer rate on 07/07/16, which I was. I received an email this morning saying that the change was complete. However an engineer hasn't visited nor has there been any attempt to arrange a visit. As I understand it an OpenReach engineer will need to visit to install something in my flat so surely I will need to have someone arrange for this to happen? Also I have yet to receive the Hub One, probably because in my account it is showing as "Hardware dispatch pending" with "The order has not yet been placed" in the message section.
I don't know what's happening and there doesn't seem to be a simple way of contacting Plusnet as the contact page says that the webchat is currently offline and has done all day and I would rather not use the phone.

18 REPLIES 18
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Chose upgrade from DSL to fibre but nothing seems to be hapening despite being billed

If you have ad-blocking software that will stop the Chat system working. You will need to disable it while on the Plusnet site.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Chose upgrade from DSL to fibre but nothing seems to be hapening despite being billed

Hi @PiffleTosh,

From what I can see, your order has completed through a self-install means, meaning that the engineer has been able to switch you over to fibre without any need for internal access.

Your router was in the process of being dispatched today, however I will need to investigate why it wasn't sent out to you in advance. It will be systems rather than individuals in this case but allow me to apologise.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
PiffleTosh
Hooked

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise self installs were a thing as the last time I looked at a fibre install in my last flat I was told Open Reach needed to install a modem. I'll keep my eye out for a box in the post.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hopefully it'll be early this week. Keep us posted.

PiffleTosh
Hooked

Turned up this afternoon. The speed's about the same as before but I know this is to be expected for the next few days. I may have found a bug in the way WPA passwords are handled but I'll need to test it a little more to see.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If you have been upgraded to FTTC your speeds should change immediately, there is no training period. What does a speed test show? If your upload speed has increased but not your download then PlusNet need to be informed, your PlusNet profile will need to be corrected. If there is really not much difference in speeds I would suspect that you have not actually been upgraded.

PiffleTosh
Hooked

The One Hub says I'm currently connected at Downstream: 19.26 Mbps and Upstream: 1.027 Mbps which is what I was on before but with a slightly lower upstream. Speedtest results show that my upload is definitely slower as I've been able to get speeds of ~0.17 KBytes/s before. I'm wondering if having my DSL connected for two days after being upgraded has caused an issue.

x@cube:~$ python speedtest_cli.py --bytes
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from PlusNet (51.0.0.0)...
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by BT Lancashire Services (Preston) [62.29 km]: 38.532 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 1.92 Mbyte/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 0.11 Mbyte/s

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I'm wondering if having my DSL connected for two days after being upgraded has caused an issue.

If your DSL remained connected then you weren't upgraded!. A single line can only have either Fibre(VDSL) OR ADSL enabled, and a non-vdsl capable router ( I assume your old router wasn't vdsl capable? ) wouldn't have remained connected if you had been upgraded to Fibre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm just investigating this for you now, I'll be in touch shortly.

PiffleTosh
Hooked

Thanks for the speediness MattyC.

@MisterW wrote:

I'm wondering if having my DSL connected for two days after being upgraded has caused an issue.

If your DSL remained connected then you weren't upgraded!. A single line can only have either Fibre(VDSL) OR ADSL enabled, and a non-vdsl capable router ( I assume your old router wasn't vdsl capable? ) wouldn't have remained connected if you had been upgraded to Fibre.

Looking at the specs for the TG582n I'd say no unless I'm missing something.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You're not missing anything, the TG582n is not vdsl capable!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

As I suspected, you have not been upgraded to FTTC despite Plusnet's suppliers (i.e. openreach) saying the order had completed!

PiffleTosh
Hooked

Seems like they've turned up, saw something was plugged in and called it a day.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Was that Matty's official response ?? Surely on an upgrade from DSL to FTTC they (OpenReach) would expect something to already be connected !!!