cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking your line: We've found a potential problem on your telephone line.

FIXED
casachung
Hooked

Checking your line: We've found a potential problem on your telephone line.

Hello

My order was supposed to go live today but it’s showing “Checking your line: We've found a potential problem on your telephone line”. 

My previous service has been disconnected and I am left without broadband on a Monday when I specifically requested in the order for my service to go live on 12/08/21 (Thursday) but this was disregarded. This has been causing a lot of work problems as we have been WFH as many others during the pandemic. 

Can anyone please advise what to do and how to solve the issue? Many thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Checking your line: We've found a potential problem on your telephone line.

Don't worry about it @casachung it's just a slight system issue on our end. Smiley

I've checked up on the orders and can see that they've recently completed. I've therefore pushed everything through on the account and have manually activated your broadband service - everything should be good to go now. Smiley

Give us a shout if you're having any further issues at all.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
casachung
Hooked

Dear Adam

Many thanks for your prompt response.

I did manage to connect in the end but in a very bizarre way. When I switched on the router it always showed red light. I then connected via my laptop for troubleshooting by entering the admin password - this didn’t solve the problem. However when I clicked ‘reset’ it then showed ‘you are connected!’

I tried restarting the router several times and every time the same thing happens.

On top of this issue, I also ran speed test several times. Although I understand that the speed takes sometime to settle, I am currently getting only 1.7MB for download speed when the Hub info shows 66.92MB. Upload speed is totally fine at around 15MB, as expected. Please see attached for the test results.

I suppose I will have to be patient but getting less than 2% of the average speed is quite noticeable when browsing and streaming. If there is some other issue I do not wait for 2 weeks (as advised by your webpage) to find out.

It would be great if these issues could be investigated sooner than later. Many thanks for your help!

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If you are a new Plusnet customer and getting a very low download speed the chances are that your hub is not configured correctly and is still at the default settings.

The way that a new service works is that initially Openreach will activate the line. At this point the hub will synchronise with the broadband infrastructure and you may get connected at slow speed. The reason for this is that Plusnet have not activated the service at their end. The way that it’s supposed to work is:

The Openreach installation is completed
Plusnet are advised.
Plusnet set up the account and advise the customer that they can now connect their hub.
The hub autoconfigures by changing the hubs default username and password to the customers personal settings.
This can go wrong.

What to do in these circumstances.

Log in to the hub by putting 192.168.1.254 in the address field of your web browser.
On the broadband page (I think, you may need to look through the pages to find it, depending on which hub you have) you should find the username. If it’s setup@pludsls.net then it hasn’t configured itself.
Remove the DSL cable.
Change the username to your account username in the form @plusdsl.net.
Enter your account password.
Plug the DSL cable back in.
If it doesn’t try to connect select Connect (again you may need to look through he pages to find it).

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
casachung
Hooked

Hi dvorak

I think you have identified the issue. When I use me username and password to connect it fails. After I ‘reset’ the account name becomes setup@pludsls.net and the connection is okay but with low speed.

So basically I still have an issue to connect with my own account.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @casachung

As @dvorak has pointed out, you router is currently in setup mode. Please follow the instructions provided above to log into your router correctly. you'll soon find that the speeds increase by quite a bit. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
casachung
Hooked

Thanks to you both. I have tried this and now the router is with my username, but it is showing ‘disconnected’ and when I click ‘connect’ it does not move at all as if the password is wrong.

When I do troubleshooting page (for selecting type of socket, etc.). I then follow the steps back to Hub Manager - again it does not connect as above.

I use my username [Removed]@plusdsl.net and the admin password given on the hub. Am I doing anything wrong?

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Fix
that password is the one for your account, that you sign into the Plusnet Portal / member centre with, not the router password.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
casachung
Hooked

Wow thanks a lot! It never occurred to me that it is with my plusnet password! Many many thanks. Speed check is all good too! You guys are amazingly helpful.