cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged an extra month from old ISP

cspiby
Grafter

Charged an extra month from old ISP

My dad has just moved to Plusnet from Xilo on my recommendation.

It was my understanding that Plusnet should have notified Xilo that he was moving his service over, however, Xilo have only been informed today about the change, meaning that my dad has now been charged an extra month by his old provider which is not refundable.

Will Plusnet offer to cover this charge when they didn't notify the old provider on the day of ordering Plusnet?

Under a 'gaining provider led process', your new provider will arrange the transfer for you.

You only need to contact the provider you wish to switch to, who will notify your old provider of the intended transfer - you do not need to cancel your contract with your old provider. 

If you change your mind, you must contact your new provider to cancel your request to switch.

Once you have contacted your new provider to begin the switching process, both your new provider and the provider you're leaving must both send you a notification letter to inform you of the switch.

The letter from the provider you are leaving must include details of:

• the services which are affected,
  • the services which are unaffected, and
  • any applicable early termination charges that relate to the services you currently take.

The letters from the provider you are leaving and your new provider must also give details of the switch, including a reasonable estimate of the date it will happen.

Your new provider must also keep for a minimum of 12 months a record of your consent to switch services.

17 REPLIES 17
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Charged an extra month from old ISP

If your Dad transferred the services from his old provider at the same address, then Xilo will have been notified from the suppliers of this once the order was accepted. We wouldn't cover the charge if we placed transfer orders I'm afraid as this is on Xilo not picking up the messaging regarding the transfer from the suppliers. 

If you can PM me your Dad's username I'll happily check that the orders were placed as a transfer.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
cspiby
Grafter

Order completion email that says the service is active has the wrong telephone number listed.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @cspiby,

I've checked over the account and the orders and can't see anything out of place. We requested to port the number across to us when placing the orders and the losing provider would have had to accept this in order for our orders to progress and complete.

@cspiby wrote:

Xilo have only been informed today about the change

They should have certainly been aware before this as they should have received confirmation when our port request was placed.

Could it be that they advised the change/migration had only happened then?

Although I can't give confirmation on their processes, if they bill in advance like us, and the payment had been requested prior to the service actually leaving it may just be that they've not processed a refund for the difference yet.

@cspiby wrote:
Order completion email... ...has the wrong telephone number listed.

Looking over the account I can't see a completion notification regarding the phone, with a number.

However I can confirm that the number on the line is the number that was provided to us on signup and also matches the landline contact number we have been provided on the account.

@cspiby wrote:
now been charged an extra month by his old provider which is not refundable.

I'd have to advise your Dad chases this up with the old provider, as I don't believe they should charge for a service they haven't provided. As mentioned above, it may just be that they've not processed a refund for the difference yet as the migration only completed recently.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
cspiby
Grafter

Where did the incorrect number come from in the notification that the service is live then? I can PM the number if you want?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I can't see any notification that the phone is live, if you have the ticket number or service notice number I can try and look in to that further.

I see there was a number advised on an automated order confirmation email initially, however this appears to have been a duplicate order that was rejected as the correct order with a number port had already been placed. - Apologies for any confusion this caused.

EDIT: Your pm came through as I hit send Grin

Please disregard the number/reference numbers on that email, they relate to the rejected order mentioned above.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
cspiby
Grafter

The phoneline is working fine.

I have PM'd you more detail.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've added a bit more to more previous post following your PM Smiley

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
cspiby
Grafter

So even though the old service was LLU, the statement about the losing provider having to accept the order still stands?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That's correct, they'd need to accept our request to port the telephone number over to us.

This would also be the same if we were porting a virgin media number to us from the cable network, as a number cannot be active on both the BT Network and a cable/LLU network at the same time.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
cspiby
Grafter

xilo replied

You can port a number and they do not require any permission from the losing provider, the only "permission" given is if the request is rejected or declined in which case that is actioned. Much like with migrations, they are initiated by the gaining provider, they are not "accepted" or "approved" by the losing party so the information Plusnet have provided again is incorrect.

If any chargeback is received for a valid charge, we will charge an administration fee as detailed in our terms so I would suggest waiting until todays confirmations of ceases are received. If indeed it was a cease as was explained by a colleague yesterday, notice as per the agreed terms of service is 30 days.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@cspiby wrote:

You can port a number and they do not require any permission from the losing provider, the only "permission" given is if the request is rejected or declined in which case that is actioned.

I'm not sure how they would reject or decline a number port request while at the same time not being aware that they received such a request until the order had already completed.

The port would ultimately have caused their services to cease, as I don't believe they would be able to provide a phone line without the number on the line.

cspiby wrote:

they are not "accepted" or "approved" by the losing party so the information Plusnet have provided again is incorrect.

Huh Here's a screenshot from the openreach order tracker regarding the order being discussed (Reference numbers cropped off for obvious reasons)

Number port acceptance.PNG

OLO stands for Other Licensed Operator as per this: Openreach jargon buster Wink

@cspiby wrote:
Much like with migrations, they are initiated by the gaining provider, they are not "accepted" or "approved" by the losing party so the information Plusnet have provided again is incorrect.

I agree the process is gaining provider lead. However as you mentioned in your initial post:

Once you have contacted your new provider to begin the switching process, both your new provider and the provider you're leaving must both send you a notification letter to inform you of the switch.

The letter from the provider you are leaving must include details of:

• the services which are affected,
  • the services which are unaffected, and
  • any applicable early termination charges that relate to the services you currently take.

As we had placed orders to take the service over, as per the gaining provider lead switching process, they should have been aware and notified the customer the services were being migrated to another provider.

They should also now be able to see they are no longer providing a service on that telephone number/line and as such I don't see how they can be charging money for a service they are not providing.

Might be worth raising a complaint with them to see if their complaints team can look in to this further.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
cspiby
Grafter

Do you have anything on the snippet that had the number listed?

cspiby
Grafter

See PM I just sent you.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@cspiby wrote:

Do you have anything on the snippet that had the number listed?

Nothing that I can post publicly via the forum or provide to another user not listed on the account via a PM.

I have however raised a ticket on the account Here and will provide a much more detailed update shortly with some screenshots etc. of order details Smiley

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet