cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from PN adsl broadband to fibre - what's happening?

errolwhittle

Changing from PN adsl broadband to fibre - what's happening?

I got the warning that my one year contract price for ADSL broadband would soon expire, and decided to upgrade to fibre. Did it online.

18/4 Email from PN to say:

We've received your product change request and have now started the process of moving your products to:

• Broadband package: Unlimited Fibre
  • Contract: 18 months
  • Hardware: Plusnet wireless router

This will change over on 23rd April 2021

Minimum guaranteed speed 30.9 mb. Off-peak speed estimates:
Maximum download speed: 40Mb, Minimum upload speed: 8Mb, Maximum upload speed: 10Mb

23/4 - nothing. No new router.

Email on 26/4 to say the router had been ordered. It arrived 27/4. Set it up.

But I am still getting adsl speeds (10 mbs down, 0.9 mbs up average) The router says it's dialling into [my username]@plusdsl.net. Is this right?

My account page shows the current contract as the ADSL one, running to 13 June 21. The Manage Account page says You can't change your products for the moment, you already have a product change in progress.

So is something happening behind the scenes and I just have to wait, maybe for the exisiting contract to expire (in which case, why give me a change over date in April?) or has something stuck somewhere?

5 REPLIES 5
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Changing from PN adsl broadband to fibre - what's happening?

Others better informed than myself will be along shortly, but meantime I suggest you wait patiently for the switchover which I understand has to be done by an Openreach engineer. We went fibre almost seven years ago and even then the changeover took place a fortnight later than the arranged date. The engineer had been on urgent repair work following extensive flooding across the country and routine jobs had to be postponed.

These days ISPs and Openreach have Covid precautions to take and many are working from home, but hopefully your changeover will take place soon. You could perhaps give Plusnet a call just in case there is an admin problem ...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

@errolwhittle  as @Longliner  says , the changeover needs an Openreach engineer to so the work at the cabinet. Theres a minimum 5 day to action  a fibre order but this is often delayed due to Openreach engineer availability. When the order is placed, the Plusnet system gives the estimated date assuming the 5 day minimum. What the system isn't good at, is informing the customer when the date is delayed. On the other hand it is good at delaying the router order, so if your router has been received then you must be pretty close to the changeover date. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

errolwhittle

Thanks for the reality check @Longliner. There are more important things than faster broadband. Strop over, and I'll wait patiently. I'll give PN a call in a week if nothing changes, but I'll try to sound a bit less entitled...

errolwhittle

@MisterW, Reassuring, thank you.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

@errolwhittle it used to be possible to see details of open orders on the BT wholesale checker but Openreach kindly removed the facility last year! Obviously it was too easy for people to get useful information🙄

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.