Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Phoneline

FIXED
Matthew15
Hooked

Changing Phoneline

Hi,

I need to change my current phone line used for my broadband contract to buy a new phoneline installed.

The reason is that I recently found out that there would be complications.

Could you inform me on how to go around changing my current phone line to getting a new one installed.

Thank you,
Matthew
16 REPLIES 16
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Changing Phoneline

Hi Matthew

To install a new line we'd need a new account setting up as we can only provision one phone line per account. Looking at your address, there's currently a working line we're taking over on the 6th, and a recently stopped line we can reactivate.

There are no spare pairs/lines at the distribution point, so it's likely any new line installation order will go to a survey first to assess the work required to install the line although the engineer may just reuse the stopped line as that's available.

Do you mind me asking what's prompting you to request a new phone line? If you have any issues with your existing line, we should be able to get fixed on the back of a fault report with Openreach.

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Matthew15
Hooked

The reason is that the phone-line that we were planning on using is still in contract with BT and we would be penalised for dismissing it.

Since it is the phone-line my dad uses for diversion calls I would find it a lot easier to buy a new phone line to not mess or make any problems for my dads.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for the clarification.

In that case we'd be able to just cancel the order we've placed with Openreach to takeover your line and instead either reactivate the stopped line showing or for £49.99 we can order a new line installation.

What I'd recommend doing is reactivating the stopped line as that's likely what an engineer would do as part of a new line installation, although if you don't have two master telephone sockets then you'd likely need an engineer anyway.

How many phone sockets do you have in your property?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Matthew15
Hooked

Thanks and I think I would prefer to the recently stopped line you recommend. We also have 4 phone sockets I think.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK cool sounds good, I'd be happy to give that a go.

So that the request is documented on your account could you reply to the ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=192217196 or the text I've sent with confirmation you're happy to go ahead?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Matthew15
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Regarding the phone socket tests as said in messages, I recently checked my 3 phone sockets for the number 02077367731, the phone socket that gave the number was the top phone socket. On the openreached named socket.
OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @Matthew15

Thank you for getting back to us.

I have placed your order and updated you via your ticket here

Please feel free to give us a shout if there is anything else we may assist you with. 

Kind Regards

Matthew15
Hooked

Hi Ollie,

Saying that I receive the router some day next week which I’ve checked on by my mobile messages and the ticket. My mum is frustrated having to use mobile data for the past week and a couple days, is it safe to assume that Thursday midnight is the latest day that was given that we should definitely expect the internet to be activated on?

Thank you,
Matthew
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @Matthew15

I have responded to your query on the ticket note on your account. You can view my response by Clicking Here

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to get back in touch with us.

Many thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey Matthew,

Sorry for not following up sooner via your account, it looks like your ticket 192217196 fell out of my workflow but I've just checked your order and I can see it has completed as expected today. Line tests all pass except they're not detecting a router plugged in, assuming it's not let us know how it goes once you've set it up.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Matthew15
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

No worries, was just waiting for when the phone line thing was done before plugging it in and just checked the website now, I’ve plugged in the router now.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool, I'm seeing the same issue though and line tests aren't showing a definitive cause for that.

We'd likely need to raise a fault to our suppliers and arrange an engineer visit to investigate further but before we do that I think it'd be a good idea to try the steps Here to rule out any issues with the internal wiring of the property.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Matthew15
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

I was using the ADSL filter and connecting it to the open-reach double socket so I’ve followed the manual and haven't plugged in any other ethernet cables or phone line cable and was wondering if there is any changes now?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi Matthew,

I was going to say you shouldn't need to use a filter if you've got a double telephone socket but it looks like you're up and running now:

How are things since then?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet