cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't order Fibre (FTTC) but all okay at Openreach?

Logan72
Dabbler

Can't order Fibre (FTTC) but all okay at Openreach?

Hi all - I'm stuck between Openreach confirming I'm okay to order fibre broadband with a provider but no provider able (so far) to fulfil my order.

No provider websites show that I'm able to order fibre broadband and I've had detailed discussions with two providers to no avail as they state it is not available.  Openreach have confirmed twice in writing that FTTC is available to my home and I'm okay to order with providers, so they cannot help me any further.

There is nothing unusual about the property - house is in a newish cul-de-sac with all neighbours having access to, and majority using, fibre.  I've just retained ADSL broadband on the landline until now.

Does anyone have any idea how I can progress this issue?

Thank you.

27 REPLIES 27
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Can't order Fibre (FTTC) but all okay at Openreach?

The Bt Wholesale checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL is the definitive availability check. Put your phone number into it and post the results ( redact your phone number though as this is a public forum ) and we can perhaps advise the situation. Might also be useful to post the results from an address check rather than a phone number

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Logan72 

This seems like it could be an address problem on the OpenReach database. If so, a PlusNet staffer can submit a request to get things sorted.

However, you need one to come along and pick up the thread first.

Brian

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The problem with the Openreach checker is that it only shows the type of technology available at the address, but not the actual speed for ADSL or FTTC, nor if there is capacity available. As noted above, sight of the output from the BTW checker will help determine the issue.

Logan72
Dabbler

Thanks everyone.

No data available on the checker for the landline (it's not currently BT but was for many years and been in place for 20+ years).  Address checker results attached.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Logan72 

Use the Address version of the Checker to look at your neighbours. If FTTC is shown as available for them then it's a database address problem.

Brian

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Logan72

Thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm sorry for the confusion caused here. If you'd like to send me a PM with your full address, and telephone number, we'll see if we can raise what we call a Pair Prove to Openreach, which gets them to check manually, and update the records to show that FTTC is available, if it's found to be. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Logan72 wrote:

Address checker results attached.

That report only shows "FTTP on demand" which is an entirely different service to FTTC or FTTP.  If BTOR are saying its available, but BTW are not then there are issues with BT's infrastructure records.  @adam945 's advice to get a pair prove is your only way forward here.

Great that Plusnet are willing to pick up this poke at BTOR/BTW for you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Logan72
Dabbler

Thank you @Townman.

Yes - with this moving boards, to PMs and still in progress I have not yet updated the thread.  However I marked it as fixed as the suggestion, and then action, of a member of staff picking it up was exactly what I needed and hugely appreciated.

@Gandalf has followed it up in @adam945's absence and has been brilliant.

The latest is that BTOR again stated all okay to order with a provider, and an enhanced line characteristics check has also confirmed this. We are now awaiting a records query response from BTW.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @Logan72 

It's funny that this post just came through, I've literally just been chasing this up for you. Unfortunately, BT Wholesale's TAGS Team have closed the query raised by @Gandalf as they'd require a landline number. I've now re-raised it, providing them with your landline umber, even though you aren't currently on the BT Network. I'll review this again for a response on Sunday when I'm next in, really sorry for the length of time this is taking. Smiley

Adam
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ugh, bit of bad news @Logan72, in that T Wholesale are being a little difficult when trying to get the records changed for your postcode. They're trying to locate your specific line, but with you not being on the BT Network at the moment, are having difficulties. I'm continuing to liaise with @Gandalf to figure out the best way forward, and we'll continue to work on this, and will keep you updated. Smiley

Adam
Logan72
Dabbler

Thank you @adam945.

Suffice to say I'll be placing the fibre order with yourselves if and when it gets sorted.

Still a little unbelievable the BT companies thing sn't it? ie:

you'd think it's straightforward;

the different arms of what is effectively the same company not working together/in a joined up way;

the fact that the situation hasn't improved in 20 years;

those companies are still in control of the underlying infrastructure/pulling all the strings despite a market share of customers of upto only one third?

that plusnet is closely linked to BT but suffer the same frustrations.

I will pursue it.

Thanks again both and I look forward to seeing what you/we can achieve.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem at all @Logan72

As far as the time that I've worked here, BT Wholesale have always worked independently from Openreach, it's sometimes quite frustrating for us too when it comes to chasing up orders / faults!

Adam
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Logan72 

Having done some digging with our suppliers, this appears to be a records issue in Openreach’s systems, which is stopping BTW’s systems from updating. 

I’ve submitted an ORDI (OpenReach Data Integrity) request to check things out in more detail and we should receive a reply within 3 to 5 working days. 

As soon as we know more we’ll be sure to let you know Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet