cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can dial out on home phone but cannot receive calls

cherylmead

Can dial out on home phone but cannot receive calls

As subject,

We switched to PlusNet today, we're keeping our old number. The engineer came out and switched us over but was decidedly unclear on the phone migration situation. Several hours after he's left the phone can dial out but cannot receive calls. I'm guessing it's been a problem with the number migration?

6 REPLIES 6
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Can dial out on home phone but cannot receive calls

You can check what phone number is assigned to your line by dialing 17070, a recorded message will play back the phone number to you,

cherylmead

It gives the correct number, the same number that shows on the recipient's display when dialling out.

It won't recieve calls, though. It rings and rings for the person dialling, but nothing happens on our end. It's not that the landline is on silent or anything - it has a flashing light on the phone that isn't being set off either.

The engineer said about the possibility of hit-and-miss connection rate for up to 24 hours, but that seems odd to me - and in terms of incoming calls it's been all miss, no hit.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Do you have a relatively modern master socket, and if so have you tried a phone in the test socket behind the detachable faceplate?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
cherylmead

The engineer replaced the master socket yesterday, there's a new faceplate. But no, I haven't tested in the socket behind that... I'm a bit reluctant to, given that work was only just done..

azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hello,

I would encourage you to do the test suggested above.
If there is a fault between your local exchange all the way up to the test socket in the master socket then it is the service provider's responsibility to get it fixed.
If the fault is with anything plugged in to the test socket then it is the customer's responsibility, that includes any extension wiring, extension sockets and any devices connected.
If the faceplate does not have any screws, then you should be able to just grip it at the sides and gently pull it off.
This will eliminate any extension wiring you may have. Plug in to the test socket just a known working corded phone and test to see if it rings. If it does its your problem.
If it doesn't then I suggest you make sure the phone does work on a different line & if possible borrow another known working corded phone to test on your line again.
If no joy then you will need to report it to Plusnet as a fault.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your phone service after joining us.

From looking at your account, it seems to be working now? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet