cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I choose the location of my master socket?

Abcmsaj
Dabbler

Can I choose the location of my master socket?

Hey all,

I'm a first time buyer moving into a new build from a small builder soon (3-4 weeks?) - I've been in touch with Plusnet since August to let them know that I will be moving there (I'm currently with Plusnet in my flat) and they've started a new line request for me and waived the fee (I'm grateful!)

I've viewed the house again today before I sign the contracts and realised there's no traditional BT master socket in the house. The living room has got a network plate on the wall with an RJ45 port and ethernet port. There is another plate on the wall opposite with an ethernet port in. I haven't seen the cabling mapping yet but I assume these two plates are connected via an ethernet cable under the floor with the intention of plugging your TV into the internet easily. There are no other network plates in the house (I'm a little gutted - was hoping for one upstairs) and the majority of my internet-connected devices will be in rooms upstairs.

I was wondering if it's possible for the engineer who's coming to install the line, to put the line into the side of the house in two locations:

1. The standard, intended location, in the living room, so that the plate would work if I plugged a router into it
  2. In through the wall of an upstairs room, so I could put the router upstairs if I wanted, in order to make connecting my devices via ethernet cables easier

Both entry points would have the same phone number... but obviously you could only connect a modem to one of them at a time? Is this possible? If so - at what point do I get asked where I want the line to be placed? Because I don't own the keys to the property yet and was told the line could be put in before I move in so it's set up and ready to go as soon as I'm moved in.

Sorry if this post is a bit lengthy - just never had a line installed before. Thanks!

28 REPLIES 28
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Can I choose the location of my master socket?

Hi there and no worries!

I can totally understand why anyone might have a lot of questions if they're not familiar with what an Openreach line installation involves. 

The engineer would only fit the one socket for you which would need to be located on the ground floor and as long as you're present they should be able to install it where you want (within reason, i.e not on the ceiling or behind a radiator Wink )

A second socket upstairs on the same line would be an extension which unless already wired into the home in some way is something you'd need to arrange yourself. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Abcmsaj
Dabbler

Thanks Adam - how might I go about arranging an extension? Is it something I can do through Plusnet or do I need to reach out to Openreach?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Abcmsaj 

Firstly, have you looked at the DSLChecker to see what's available at your new address. As you don't have a phone line yet use the Address version, input your post code only and select the address.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Next, will the phone line be supplied overhead or underground? If the latter then the duct will already be laid to your house even if the phone line hasn't been installed.

Too late for you now but for anyone moving to a new build - look at the cabling ASAP. If it's not to your liking see if you can get it moved or additional phone / Ethernet cable installed.  Over 20 years ago when I bought my house I was able to get the TV Aerial point moved FOC and an additional phone extension installed in the back room (for my modem) for £50. I was able to do so because I spoke to the builder before the plasterboard was put up.

Brian

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Take this with a pinch of salt (my advice I mean).

It sounds like PlusNet mean they can call the engineer out who will only install the master socket.

Then you'll have to make your own arrangements to get the extension fitted, perhaps with Openreach later.

I'm not sure if PlusNet can arrange the engineer to do both on a single visit, or you'll need to have another one (I am assuming the latter).

Of course they'll be an additional cost to yourself for the extra extension.

I would personally get the master socket done first, and if you're happy with it - so no noise down the line and the broadband speeds are to your satisfaction then order the extension after.

Good luck with the house move BTW, I know what a nightmare that can be. Smiley

tstaddon
Rising Star

"The living room has got a network plate on the wall with an RJ45 port and ethernet port. "

You mean like this?

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/images/products/solwise/adsl-vdslface-sol-1.png?width=400

If yes, that's probably your BT master socket with the microfilter built into a vdsl faceplate.

If it's anything like my last house, the BT line comes straight into a master socket with a VDSL faceplates and Cat6 runs from the master socket, under the floor, to the other socket. I'm about to do the same in my new house.

Abcmsaj
Dabbler

@bmc Hmmm... I'm actually disappointed! I checked the same address at https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband and it told me FTTP was available with "speeds up to 80mbps" - looking at the results from the dslchecker site, looks like the max I could possibly get is only 26mbps down and 3.4mbps up!? Sad

brave_EtMgZFyUbq.png

Yeah - unfortunately, the first time I went to view the house, all the plasterboard was already up. It's literally a single semi-detached house in an existing neighborhood as opposed to one of those larger new house plots where they continue to build them as they sell. If it's already finished then (and it would be underground), then I guess nothing can be done? Can't even run a cable up the wall and pin it to the brick?

EDIT: that being said, just done a check on an address 2 doors down (my address is not yet in the system, the screenshot above is next door on cabinet 12, the screenshot below is 2 doors down on cabinet 10) and they're getting superfast! Angry

That's a little annoying

brave_dJ4KKshhg0.png

Abcmsaj
Dabbler

@tstaddon yeah except it's flush to the wall - I always assumed master sockets had to be these huge bulky things that jutted out of the wall with BT branding all over them!

Abcmsaj
Dabbler

@Alex Cheers! Sounds like a good plan... worst case scenario, I can run a really long ethernet cable along the skirting and up the stairs and hide it with some trunking. From the looks of it, from another commenter's suggestion, looks like my speeds aren't that great anyway! I moved in based on the Ofcom broadband availability checker's suggestion that a house 3 doors down had up to 80mbps speeds! But looks like I might only be able to get 20mbps max...

brave_ddPl09fhr7.png

bmc
Hero

@Abcmsaj 

Your first problem is your address isn't on the OpenReach database - no address, no PlusNet order!!!

Hopefully you'll be lucky in that when the address is listed, it shows you will be connected to the better cabinet but only time will tell.

Only you know what you need in terms of cabling but if your Router is downstairs you could get somebody in to drill a couple of holes in the walls and run an Ethernet cable up the outside of your house to your preferred location and use an Ethernet switch if provide multiple Ethernet connections if required.

Brian

Abcmsaj
Dabbler

@bmc oh no, really!? I wanted to list it on Royal Mail's website a few weeks ago but a message came up saying to only submit the address to their DB within 3 weeks of you moving in - and I still don't have a completion date yet (although I would guess it's soon... just signed the contracts)

I was also wondering how Plusnet would do it if nobody occupied the house yet! Unless the duct is already underground and ready to be connected to the existing socket in the living room... then I just have to hope they connect me to the better cabinet because it's nearer (as the crow flies)

Worried now Undecided

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Abcmsaj thanks for getting back to us.

@Abcmsaj wrote:

Thanks Adam - how might I go about arranging an extension? Is it something I can do through Plusnet or do I need to reach out to Openreach?

It's not something we can arrange and as far as I'm aware Openreach wouldn't either I'm afraid. You'd need to go to find a third party/local telephone engineer. Although it's best using your router in the master socket especially for fibre broadband as the quality of the fibre signal can greatly deteriorate in an extension. 

I'd also recommend looking at alternate solutions like a really long ethernet cable or maybe powerline adapters.

Regarding your address not being in the database, the first screenshot you've provided shows it is as there are results coming up. Having said that could you PM me your full address so I can investigate further?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@Gandalf 

From a previous post the OP stated it was single build - I'm guessing  an "in fill" property between two older houses.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@Abcmsaj 

I would list on the Post Office DB as soon as possible - somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind is the thought that this is the "master" - no else will list until an address appears here.

Ask the builder if OpenReach have physically installed a phone cable yet - as it's a single build then possibly they haven't done it yet.

Brian