Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I cancel my contract?

Elle2521
Hooked

Can I cancel my contract?

Following on from my last post
Regarding not being activated today…
I managed to get through on the phone. Only to be told that there was a fault that open reach needed to deal with.
No timeframe given on when how it would take long is a piece of string basicly..
I will get an update in the morning with a timeline…
I need Internet for my work and I have been here three weeks waiting for this activation .So can I cancel my contract with Plusnet even though it hasn’t even started yet and go elsewhere?
I know I can’t go through another provider other than virgin who isn’t in my area because the fault will still be there but my daughter has a Wi-Fi dongle and it’s a brilliant little piece of equipment. I might go down that route. I just want to know if I can cancel if openreach Work is going to be long-winded.
21 REPLIES 21
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: Can I cancel my contract?

in a word, @Elle2521 , no, you can't cancel without paying Early Termination Charges, which, in your case would be horrendous. Who are you currently with?

A Wi-Fi dongle is great, but you need an internet connection for it to work.

John
Elle2521
Hooked

I’m not with anyone. I’ve only just moved into this house and I ordered all my Internet connection services before I moved in and I’ve been waiting three weeks for it to be activated. Now I’m being told there’s a fault they can’t tell me how long it will be to put it right.
The little dongle thing that my daughter has Provides you with Internet I used it when I went to my mother’s house once and you get everything you want on it.
So Basically, I just have to wait until the job is done then 🤦‍♀️
jab1
Legend

Ah OK. Did they tell you what the 'fault' was? - I doubt it, as OpenReach don't always tell the ISP. What 'dongle' is it - as I said, you need an internet connection for a dongle to work, the ones I am aware of merely plug into a desktop to provide wireless connectivity, as desktops usually do not have a Wi-Fi card installed.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

@jab1 

May be it's a 4G LTE dongle

jab1
Legend

Should have thought of that, @Dan_the_Van , but as I've never had one, it didn't cross my mind. 😀

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Seems unfair that @Elle2521 can't cancel the order without paying a cessation charge given that no service has yet been provided nor likely to be provided within a reasonable time. I'd consider a counter charge for all inconconvience caused. Any argument that the problem lies with Openreach won't wash.

Any Lawyers around ?

jab1
Legend

Without knowing what the issue is, it is difficult to make that claim, @Champnet - and as the OP is dependent on OR infrastructure, any other ISP will have the same issue.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@jab1  If the service can't be provided within a reasonable time then the contract should be scrapped.

But, there is an option, Openreach could provide the Customer with a temporary alternative solution until the problem is fixed..............

jab1
Legend

(a) We don't know what the 'problem' is, so we (b) don't know if a 'temporary' solution is possible.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@jab1  Your bias is showing..........

A while ago a car ran into the nearby telegraph pole. Openreach dismantled the pole declaring it unsafe  leaving a group of us without internet access for over 2 weeks.. Those of us on Plusnet (me) just had to wait, those on BT were give a temporary box, it could have been a 4G connector.  

jab1
Legend

No bias, @Champnet - I just work on the information provided, or not, as the case may be.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

@Elle2521 just use the dongle as a temporary measure until the activation goes ahead. You will get £6.10/day automatic compensation until the service is activated

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Elle2521
Hooked

Thank you for all your replies
I think all I can do is wait till the morning and see if it’s a something and nothing issue or a major one and go from there.
I certainly don’t intend on paying for something I don’t have
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Elle2521 

Although you've paid up front the PN billing period doesn't start until the service is live - so no further charges.

Is is a new build you're in or just a new house to you?

Brian