Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not active 3 days over scheduled date

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Broadband not active 3 days over scheduled date

Yes, but is it working?

How was it "deactivated"? If you had cancelled then PN cannot activate it until the cease order has completed.

kyleahouston
Dabbler

How can I test this? I don’t have a phone I can plug in
kyleahouston
Dabbler

From BT:

What's happening
We'll stop your:
phone line on 27 Aug 2021
broadband on 27 Aug 2021

How do I activate the phone line? What is a cease order?
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Did you go to BT and cancel your previous service, or did you ask BT to take over your BT service?

kyleahouston
Dabbler

I contacted BT via their chat and asked them to schedule the cancellation of my contract, they required a months notice which took it up til 27/08 - what do I need to do here to get this sorted?
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Get a time machine and go back 6 weeks, do your research and place the order with PN to take over your service for 30 days time!

To explain why, any provider that uses BT / Openreach lines can only place one order on the line at a time. So when you placed the cease order with BT it means no one else can place an order on that line until the order completes, which is usually 7 days after the cease date.. It then takes 7-10 days to start providing a new phone service, and a bit more for broadband.

You need to look in the member centre to see the progress of your orders, or phone up and ask.

Whilst you are waiting buy yourself a cheap phone, it is the best tool to help diagnose broadband issues - including seeing if your phone line is working.

HTH

kyleahouston
Dabbler

Thanks Mustrum you’ve been a great help, I managed to get a hold of a phone there so going to try that when I get back home. If the phone line is dead do I need to contact BT to activate it and then follow up with plus net to take over or will the plusnet connection just begin to work?
kyleahouston
Dabbler

Tested the phone line, it appears to be active. I can call through to the phone number plusnet assigned me?
kyleahouston
Dabbler

Also checked my plusnet order status and all check marks are green:

We've run some checks on your telephone line and everything looks to be fine.

What are my next steps?
Mustrum
Community Veteran

PN is your phone provider now, so all should be directed to them.

I would give then a call before they shut to find out if there is an issue with your broadband.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @kyleahouston

I'm sorry to see you can't get online. I can confirm your order with us has completed. Oddly though we've taken over your line rather than restart a stopped line which is what I'd expect if your existing provider had ceased it.

I can see though they had placed a cease order to complete on the 27th August yet we were still able to place a 'working line takeover' order. Also there aren't any engineer notes on the order which suggests that our order completed without any engineering intervention, that the handover from your previous provider may have been purely system based. 

If the cease order went through on the 27th August then I suspect the line has been physically disconnected and as our order didn't task out an engineer, the line was never reconnected. I've tested your line and the tests are backing up this theory as the tests are showing a "Dis In Network" fault which means there's a disconnection somewhere.

I've raised this to our suppliers now and we've been given an estimated response time of by 15/09/21 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out and investigate further. I've also created a support ticket on your account Here we'll use to monitor the fault and we'll provide an update as soon as we know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Gandalf  the OP has said he tested the line earlier and it is working on the number PN has given them.

Sounds like there is something still not right.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The line is definitely testing faulty and as it's ADSL we can't raise a broadband fault with suppliers until the line tests OK. The only way to make the line test OK would be by progressing this as a phone line fault. It's possible though that only one of the pairs is disconnected rather than both. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran

If one of the pair was disconnected the phone would not work, although broadband probably would.

I understand the need for an engineer to check, a move from BT should be simple though.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah, it's an odd one. A move from BT should be straightforward but I suspect the cease order had complicated things. 

It's also possible the dis in network is a fault at the exchange affecting the broadband but not the phone.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet