cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps getting cancelled

ryanb
Dabbler

Broadband keeps getting cancelled

Bit of an odd one. Just moved house (21st December) and ordered a house move with Sky originally. Activation day came, nothing happened, found out Openreach cancelled my order due to an active line. Re ordered on Monday (9th Jan) and found out today that it was cancelled again. Sky tried to do a re order again today but it just failed, or didn't 'look right' in the agent's words and they concluded that it must just be there are no slots left for them to supply me. Pretty sure that's wrong as the previous owners were on Sky! (FTTP by the way) So I've placed an order with Plusnet instead and was told activation could be on 17th Jan but needs to be confirmed.

I realise this a bit premature as I only placed the order this morning but the order status seems to be stuck on 'Checking your details'. I'd have thought this would be a quick step? I did ring their support around 10:30 and they said they just needed to place the order their end, which they did, but my order tracking still says 'Checking your details'. I'm not trying to seem impatient, I'm just nervous that the order has been immediately cancelled again and I haven't yet been told. Is it normal for the order to sit on this stage for a while? Has anyone else had this issue with Openreach just continually cancelling their order?

27 REPLIES 27
ryanb
Dabbler

Re: Broadband keeps getting cancelled

Bit of an update, Openreach cancelled the order saying “no spare port”. This makes no sense, I already have an ONT and it’s lit up and connected. The PON light is green. Plusnet support have logged a dispute with OR. Surely it can’t be that there’s no capacity for our connection? We haven’t got a phone line, only fibre.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Hello, A warm welcome to the forums.

This is normal - the visible status will stay as it is until there is meaningful progress.  Micro process might be visible in the account's ticket history using the PN Tickets link below.  You need to be logged into the member's centre.

BT Wholesale and BT Openreach or notorious for cancelling orders for the slightest thing wrong ... even if it they who need to fix the issue.  Personally I think it is a delaying tactic they use - everything gets bounced back to the ISP and as you found with Sky, makes them look bad.

There have been cases where BT's records do not correctly report an already installed ONT (FTTP) interface ... resulting in orders being bounced as wrong installation types.  That might match " didn't 'look right' in the agent's words and they concluded that it must just be there are no slots left for them to supply me".  This is the first I have heard of "no slots left" for FTTP - however it is not uncommon for FTTC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@ryanb 

I wonder if the previous service is still active with no cancellation or move request in the system. You could check the following and see what it says. Look at the narrative under the results window.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

You'll probably need to wait for a staff member to pick up the thread and take a look for you.

@Townman 

"A spare port" is part of the lexicon of OR speak relating to FTTP. Checking my details shows

"ONT exists with active service. A spare port may be available or a single port ONT may be swappable to a multiport ONT. A new ONT may be ordered"

Brian

ryanb
Dabbler

Thanks for the responses guys. I've added a photo of my ONT to my support case showing the serial number in case that's useful.

I've also checked on that site and I've got the following result:

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

ONT exists with no active service. A spare port is available. Network is at capacity so a new ONT cannot be ordered.

It's as if there is a mix up somewhere. I have heard of connections becoming locked for 10 working days when a previous occupant cancels their service. Our move into this property was very last minute, we literally found out it was going ahead the day before, so I don't know when the previous occupants cancelled their service. I know my first attempt was cancelled two days (22nd Dec) after ordering because a line was still active. It's a fairly new estate (4 years old) and I'm pretty sure every house will be fibre. We don't have a normal phone socket, although that checker does say VDSL is available.

bmc
Hero

@ryanb

The 10 day block is for phone lines - don't know if it's similar for FTTP.

However, I'd take a guess and say you've answered the question on why the order is getting cancelled - "Network is at capacity so a new ONT cannot be ordered"

I guess this means no new orders until the network issue is resloved.

There may have been an active service first time you ordered which has now been cancelled.

Brian

ryanb
Dabbler

I'm a bit confused by that though. If an ONT already exists why would a new one need to be ordered? I took it as, there's an ONT with no active service and a spare port, so it should be fine. But there's no capacity if any additional ONTs are required.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

Network is at capacity so a new ONT cannot be ordered

That should only be referring to a lack of available ports on the CBT. Given that the ONT is already connected (PON light is ON) then I would suspect its a database issue. With an active ONT, the order should be a remote activation, but if OR records dont show the correct active ONT then it will be failing.

Seems like its another 'computer says there's no ONT'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@ryanb 

Go back and re-run the Checker. Are any ADSL or FTTC services offered?

If so, then copper lines are available. It could be that enough people have recently upgraded to FTTP to take the Network to capacity. The fact your ONT exists is neither here nor there.

Brian

ryanb
Dabbler

Only FTTP and VDSL Multicast. Which is weird as I thought VDSL used the phone line. No ADSL or FTTC though.

Hopefully it's what MisterW says, a computer error. I know when Openreach had to go to my parent's house they said they often have issues with ONT mixups. I just hope OR respond soon and immediately know what the issue is, the SLA is within 5 working days.

bmc
Hero

@ryanb 

VDSL Multicast is a system that stores popular programs locally so that on demand services can access them without going to the main server thereby reducing network demand. It isn't a service to the porperty.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ryanb  I have a suspicion that the Plusnet ordering system does not handle cases where there is an existing ONT very well. They tend to order a new service possibly because the system incorrectly show no ONT available when there actually is one in place. So it is likely that your order may fail although if the checker says there is an ONT with no active service there shouldn't be  a problem and a quick remote activation should be possible. This can be done almost immediately ( a few hours maybe) if you know how to do it, I don't think the general support /provisioning staff have the required knowledge.

For some relevant background info have a look at these threads......

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/39-Days-and-counting-after-Confirmed-Activation-date-still-no... 

and this long winded shambles, Plusnet trying to supply FTTC to a premises with no phone line, the good bit is from msg#25 onwards. FTTP ordered and activated a few hours later on the existing ONT.

... https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/Order-delayed/td-p/1889649/page/2 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

There is evidence that BT’s systems do not handle orders were there is already an ONT. we’ve seen cases around here of Plusnet needing to apply a lot of effort to get these cases sorted.

ryanb
Dabbler

It does seem that having an existing ONT in place does cause confusion. I think the order is going through as a new service and then getting rejected because there are no spare ports for a new ONT, because there already is one! That would explain why I had a message come through earlier to say an engineer is coming out tomorrow (Now cancelled). At least Plusnet have logged a request with Openreach for me though and are trying to sort it. Hopefully they'll respond sooner than 5 working days!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

I've had a gander for you to see what I can do to help. From what I can see it appears the type of order we've placed is to install a new ONT rather than activate an existing one.

So I've replaced the order and with any luck your service should activate shortly.

If not then we'll see what Openreach say when they get back to our provisioning team. I've also sent your new router for dispatch so it should be with you soon.

[edit]

Well that didn't go to plan. The order rejected with the reason "No Spare Port on ONT Reference". Let's see what Openreach say when they get back to us. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet