Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband and phone to be switched on different dates

bbpn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Broadband and phone to be switched on different dates

I applied to switch to PlusNet a few days ago and received emails saying my phone would be switched to PlusNet on 10-Sep and broadband on 11-Sep, I then received a letter from my current ISP saying both my phone and broadband would stop on 10-Sep. I raised a ticket to bring forward the broadband switch date to 10-Sep three days ago, but I haven't received any response.

I also haven't received a reply to a ticket asking whether it's possible to put my line in FastPath mode when the service goes live. The web page stated that tickets were normally answered within 14-15 hours, is it normal that I haven't received any reply in 3 days?

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Broadband and phone to be switched on different dates

received emails saying my phone would be switched to PlusNet on 10-Sep and broadband on 11-Sep,

The broadband on 11- Sep actually means by 00:00 on 11 Sep . i.e by midnight 10 Sep, confusing isnt it!

The broadband takes a liitle longer than the phone to activate , hence the by midnight.

asking whether it's possible to put my line in FastPath mode

If this is a Fibre connection, then I'm afraid PlusNet (like other CP's) have no control over this. The BT Openreach DLM will do whatever it thinks fit...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bbpn
Rising Star

The broadband on 11- Sep actually means by 00:00 on 11 Sep . i.e by midnight 10 Sep, confusing isnt it!

It is confusing. The email says

Your service is due to go live on 11/09/2019. Your order could complete any time on this date, up to midnight.

I thought it meant "Your service is due to go live on 11/09/2019. Your order could complete any time on this date (i.e. any time between 00:00 and 23:59 on 11/09/2019), up to midnight (i.e. 23:59 11/09/2019)."

Is my interpretation incorrect?

This will be an ADSL connection and I have received a reply to my ticket that I would be able to ask PlusNet to turn interleaving on/off

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

This will be an ADSL connection and I have received a reply to my ticket that I would be able to ask PlusNet to turn interleaving on/off

Yes, if its an ADSL connection , the CP's still have some control over the DLM settings.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @bbpn, thanks for getting in touch on our forums.

@MisterW is correct n advising it relates to up to 00:00 11th Sept... I'm really sorry for any confusion caused by these notifications!

As it's an ADSL connection we are able to request interleaving be turned on or off and amend the SNR from our side also.

If you have any further queries please do just let us know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
bbpn
Rising Star

Thanks both @MisterW and @LaurenB for the clarification.

How does ADSL DLM work? Does it try to toggle interleaving as well as adjust SNR? If I request one of these two be manually set, DLM would just adjust the other one, and if I request both to be manually set, it would effectively turn off DLM?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @bbpn 

How does ADSL DLM work?

For an in-depth overview I'd have a read Here

Does it try to toggle interleaving as well as adjust SNR?

Yup it'll adjust interleaving and the SNR when appropriate.

If I request one of these two be manually set, DLM would just adjust the other one, and if I request both to be manually set, it would effectively turn off DLM?

While we can make changes to interleaving and the SNR target, it's possible that DLM may override our changes. However at request we can permanently switch interleaving off or on so DLM shouldn't override that.

In a similar fashion we can also set a threshold which DLM would work towards when automatically changing values such as the SNR target for example by choosing a Standard, Stable or Super Stable stability option. The greater the stability option means that DLM would favour stability over speed. By default we provision all lines on Standard.

That's all assuming that DLM needs to take action. For the majority of lines DLM doesn't need to and if it does then that's normally indicative of an underlying fault which should be looked at.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bbpn
Rising Star

Thanks @Gandalf for the DLM link, it's very useful. What other line parameter can we set permanently? So far we have interleaving on/off and SNR target margin, is there anything else like G.INP, interleaving depth (if so what depths can we set) etc?

If DLM doesn't need to take action, what's the default/initial parameter for the Standard profile?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

What other line parameter can we set permanently? So far we have interleaving on/off and SNR target margin, is there anything else like G.INP, interleaving depth (if so what depths can we set) etc?

Only interleaving and the upstream speed which can be capped at 448kbps or left uncapped as default. Interleaving can just be set as on or off (Or Auto which allows DLM control over it).

While we can change the target SNR and influence DLM, we can't permanently keep the SNR at a particular value although we can request BT to pin it but from experience that's not 100% guaranteed to actually keep it at the requested level.

If DLM doesn't need to take action, what's the default/initial parameter for the Standard profile?

I've attached the threshold below which doesn't change unless we change the stability option.

Screenshot 2019-09-01 at 18.04.59.png

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet