cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband activation period

Scholesy

Broadband activation period

Hi all, I'm a new plusnet customer, left feeling a bit let down by customer services after I phoned to query my activation date for broadband.

After ordering on the 6th August, the date was set for fibre activation on the 23rd August (I only found out when I went to check my order status on the website). My issue with this is my town is Bourne Lincolnshire, we have a BT openreach depot in the town with dozens of vans based there, so I can't see why there is such a delay to get an engineer to the cabinet. Customer services couldn't give any explanation for the delay nor why we're being charged line rental for a phone line we aren't receiving internet on or if I could be refunded the line rental up until the fibre activation date.

Ive never used an ISP other than BT and have always had turnaround of approx 10 days on a new order. Is this a BT wholesale policy to provide poorer activation turnaround to non BT customers?
8 REPLIES 8
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Broadband activation period

The fact that there is a nearby depot is irrelevant, the dozens of BT Openreach vans must be busy dealing with other customers or do you think you are a special case and should jump the queue.Smiley

Scholesy

No, I know I'm getting poor service compared to previous experience with BT direct in a town 8 miles down the road and customer service have only been able to say "computer says no". Thanks for your positive contribution all the same!
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Transferring from one ISP to another is governed by strict Ofcom rules, which are designed to help your line being "slammed" - taken over without your permission, I think its at least 10business days, and then it is down to engineer availability to do the work in your cabinet.,

So no you are not getting poor service, just PN following the rules.

Have you had a letter from BT yet to say your line is being taken over? Hopefully you have not spoken to them about cancelling the line?

Scholesy

What's causing the frustration is it's always been dead on the 10 day mark from order to going live the last 3 times I've moved using BT, but this time it's best part of 3 weeks from order to activation.
I figured this must be something to do with how far down the pecking order they are in terms of service by BT wholesale?

No letter from BT, wouldn't have thought I'll get one as it's not a migration for me at this address?
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Not sure I understand what you are doing? Are you moving house on a regular basis and ordering a new service?

Are you not then paying cancelation charges? Is there a service where you are going to? Has the current customer cancelled their service?

I could go on, but I won't 😉

Scholesy

No previously migrated from house to house with BT and kept contract, when BT contract ran out at last house we switched to SSE on a monthly contract as we thought we didn't have long before the move. This house is now on a new contract with plusnet rather than migrating with sse as we're staying for a while.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Sorry, I know its late, but I am even more confused now.

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @Scholesy

Welcome to the forum.

I have had a look into your order details and have some answers for you.

When you placed your order there was a delay of 4 days due to a pending cease order on your line. There cannot be 2 orders on a line at any given time unless they are linked together when they are placed. If the person moving out places an order to stop their service, we have to wait for this to complete before we can place a provide order.

Notification of this was sent to you through your account, and for future reference you can view these details by following the link below. This contains a question number that is specific to your query and you can view all communications in this manner.

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=180457977

Timescales for orders do vary from one to the next. These depend on the technology that you are activating (ADSL or Fibre), the status of the telephone line at the address (New Line Installation, Stopped line or Working line takeover) and any engineer availability to complete any of these. As mentioned by @Mustrum we are governed by Ofcom regulations so all of these order types have a minimum timescale that we are unable to break.

I can see that you had spoken with our team last night and I hope this helps to clear anything up for you.

Any further questions I am here to help 🙂