cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband- activation delayed for two weeks, now on hold for another two weeks...

chinadavester83
Hooked

Broadband- activation delayed for two weeks, now on hold for another two weeks...

Hi all

I'm hoping to get some clarity here on what my options are. Sorry, this might be a long one...

My fibre broadband activation date was originally Monday 2 November- my landline was activated on this date, but I received no message about the broadband and had to chase on Tuesday- then Wednesday, then Friday... each time I was given a new activation date (of the next day, or the day after) which came and went with no message.

On Saturday 7 November, when I chased again, I was told the problem was that Openreach had to do unspecified 'further work', and that I'd be called back on Monday. Then on Monday I was told that the person on Saturday should have been able to see the problem on the system- there was no free slot in the local cabinet for fibre broadband. The assistant on Monday therefore gave me the option of getting ADSL broadband while being put on a waiting list for fibre, and put me through to the sales team, who told me I'd get new account info with a new ADSL activation date.

After several days of waiting for this with no information coming, I called again (on Thursday), to be told that in fact the previous customer service people had got it wrong, and that the message from Openreach was that there was no availability for either fibre or ADSL at the cabinet. I've therefore been waiting to hear from the team chasing Openreach about adding more slots- no call or email from them, but I've just checked my ticket and the result is that an update will be provided... at the start of December.

So, to sum up, I'm looking at a minimum of a month without the broadband I paid for. Therefore I'd like to ask:

1. Can somebody from Plusnet confirm that ADSL is definitely not available? The message from Openreach is visible in my ticket: "I cannot complete this task as linked order is delayed because the allocated ports are unavailable or faulty and I'm not skilled to repair myself.I have discussed with Unknown and am passing to the DCoE to be resolved. Please see additional information No sync on fibre ports". This seems to only mention fibre, but obviously I'm no expert. It's hugely confusing to get completely contradictory information from customer service staff (and I still have separate open tickets about getting ADSL!), so I'd like to be completely clear on this question.

2. Is there any chance other providers could get me broadband? I understand they all use the same cabinet, but are the slots allocated to different providers at all? ADSL or fibre, after 2+ weeks of nothing I'm not going to be fussy...

3. Can I cancel my Plusnet order? As I recall the cooling-off period was 14 days from date of order, but obviously I've had no broadband at all (the landline has apparently been active for two weeks, but I don't have or need a phone...)

3 REPLIES 3
chinadavester83
Hooked

Re: Broadband- activation delayed for two weeks, now on hold for another two weeks...

Follow-up: on the ADSL question, I've also checked my phone number using www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com and there are four ADSL products listed at the cabinet with an 'ADSL Availability Date' of 'Available'. Again, I'm no expert, but I can't think what this could mean if this doesn't mean that ADSL is available!

chinadavester83
Hooked

Re: Broadband- activation delayed for two weeks, now on hold for another two weeks...

Another update / conversation with myself: the "WBC FTTC Availability Date" is also showing as "Available". I'm not sure if this has changed, or if I just didn't notice it before. Also if I go to other providers' websites and input my address / phone number, they tell me I can get either ADSL or fibre broadband. Meanwhile Plusnet has me 'on hold' for another two weeks- I'm beginning to think I could in fact get connected if I just cancelled and went with another provider.

Can anyone please help with this?

chinadavester83
Hooked

I think (fingers crossed) the problem is now sorted- on Thursday I queried the ticket item saying it would be put on hold for two weeks, pointing out that it seemed to be available elsewhere.  I then got a call saying the engineers would actually come back today. And it appears they did, because (again, fingers crossed) I seem to have a fibre connection!