Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband activation delayed by a month

FIXED
ratchetxxo

Broadband activation delayed by a month

Hi,

I recently moved into a new house, and I've decided to go with Plusnet fibre optic broadband.

I set up my original order on the 20th of April and had an activation date quoted as the 4th May. In the following days my order was cancelled or put on hold (not sure why?) and a new activation date was set for around the 8th.

Today I received a notification saying that my activation date is now the 21st of May, a whole month after my order was placed. I understand that the '10 day minimum period is only a minimum estimation, but 30 days seems a bit much.

Normally I wouldnt mind waiting, but I have already paid upfront for the first month of broadband usage - which I haven't had yet. Would I be be paying for two months in advance by the time the direct debit comes out of my account or would the payment then wait?

Is there anything that can be done to speed up the activation? Thanks in advance.

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) changed topic title

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Broadband activation delays

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums. The precise reason for the delay in YOUR order needs input from a staffer, but here are some generic reasons for cancellations and delays such as you have experienced.

BT Wholesale or BT Openreach find issues and rather than they fixing their own problems, they cancel the ISP’s order, in effect asking the iSP to sort out what’s wrong ... then ask BT to fix it. This often relates to errors in BT’s database regarding information relating to the phone line associated with your property.

There is an open cease order on the lone from a previous service provider for that line. Until the cease order is fulfilled or lifted no new orders will be accepted by BT.

Resources showing as available at the time of ordering are not available at the time of ordering. This can include fibre ports and the engineers to install the connection.

Payment up front - this is ‘held’ until the phone line is connected. This becomes your billing date. The second month’s charges will not be invoiced until a month after the connection date.

If the broadband is not connected the same day the bill will be adjusted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.
Post split into its own topic for better visibility
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Broadband activation delayed by a month

As its a new house you are moving into, if possible have a chat with the neighbours see if they  are connected, as sometimes on new builds the developers are slow with the groundwork  duct laying. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

Sorry to hear about the delay to your order.

Unfortunately this happened because the original orders we placed were rejected due to the previous owners of the line putting a cease on it.

This effectively stopped us from placing the orders until yesterday hence the date of the 21st.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Skeadugenga
Dabbler

I've been getting exactly the same excuses about cancelled orders and computer errors.  I'm not moving house, I just tried to change suppliers.  Change was effective 16th April and I'm still waiting for Broadband - the "expected date" was the 4th yesterday, but now its just moved to the 9th.

My recommendation would be to cancel if you still can and if not then contact plusnet support every single day

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Skeadugenga

It sounds as if you may have messed this up yourself by cancelling your previous supplier. Assuming that is the case what you should have done is just place an order with Plusnet as a migration. The termination of your old service and start of the Plusnet service would almost certainly have happened on the same day. Cancelling your old supplier first means that Plusnet cannot even place an order with BT Wholesale until after the cease has completed and therefore guarantees that you will be many days without any service from either your old supplier or Plusnet.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Skeadugenga
Dabbler

"just place an order with Plusnet as a migration"

That's exactly what I did!

Very annoyed at your suggestion that any of this debacle has been my fault.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Skeadugenga I've replied to your thread over here.

@jelv Was your response meant for the OP instead?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Gandalf wrote:

@jelv Was your response meant for the OP instead?

Oops - yes!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ratchetxxo

@jelv

If the reply was intended for me - this is my first time setting up broadband, so I didn't have a supplier to 'migrate' from. The previous tenant ceased her broadband/phoneline on the 20th, which is when I placed my original order.

ratchetxxo

@MatthewWheeler Thanks for getting back to me Matthew, I appreciate the update. I will just have to be patient!

ratchetxxo

Thanks for getting back to me @Townman, I appreciate your input here. As staff have replied, looks like I will have to wait this one out due to the line being ceased by the previous owner. Thanks again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm sorry about the delay in getting your services live @ratchetxxo

Let us know if you have any issues when your activation day comes around.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MarkBoulding

What a load of rubbish..... I experienced the same inefficiency with plusnet's provision of service.  PlusNet informed me of different cease dates applied to the property I was moving into, always putting back provision before, and after a lot of my time spent on hold awaiting an agent, that they had got the cease dates wrong and that the original cease date which was the first quoted was correct, this ended up, once again, putting provision of my service back by yet another 10-12 working days, although was given 1 months' free rental....... then plusnet go ahead and cancel the whole order for no reason and with no authority from me, and they think it is ok to so this then just email stating that the order has been cancelled and forget about it !  Contacted customer services (AGAIN) waited another 30 minutes for agent (AGAIN)Customer service ethos is completely lacking and unacceptable. I have received a credit of one months free rental on a service they don't want to supply, how incompetent and this is supposed to be a customer centric focus !