Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT scams me to pay for cancelled service

otec
Hooked

BT scams me to pay for cancelled service

Hi

I've moved from BT infinity 2 to plusnet. I did these by requesting to move the phone line and broadband.

Plusnet broadband was activated on time and I have both line and internet now.

BT says that they only got a request to cancel the line, but never got request to cancel broadband and hence I must pay for extra month.

Obviously Plusnet support says they requested both to be moved and they were moved at the same time.

Has anyone else been in this situation ? Is there a way out from this scam ?

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: BT scams me to pay for cancelled service

Hi otec,

I am sorry to hear about this. If you go back to BT they will be able to see through the internal systems as to when the requests came through and also when the service transferred over.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

BT should also have sent you an email advising their services were being taken over. They tried to charge me when I transferred, but when I quoted their own email they eventually realised what they did and refunded me the money. It took a while though!

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi Mustrum,

Your absolutely correct, an email should have been sent out to say the service was been taken over but I must admit these notifications can fail automation and not be sent through but they should have looked into this through internal systems and confirmed the dates.

ejik

I'm in the exact same situation. I received an email from BT saying "Another service provider has told us you want to move your phone line and broadband over to them on 14-Jun-2016. So we're taking this as notice that you want to stop these services with us on that date." The service swapped to Plusnet perfectly on this date. However BT have billed me for another month and obviously didn't refund the partial month I had paid in advance. After 2 long calls to India I now have to wait a further 14 days until they have raised my "final bill" that I can then go on to dispute both charges. I'd warn any person switching from BT to be vigilant and mindful of their poor practices.

wildthing666
Grafter

Look at this page I am leaving BT because of their price rise, unfortunately the first I knew of the rise, officially, was when I opened my bill and they had refunded me part of the months payment and recharged at the new price from the 3rd July, they look unfavourably on Providers who do not allow customers to leave mid contract without penalty and price increases seems to be unfavourable. They are saying I will have to over £200 to leave but I sent Libby Barr (BT executive) an email stating this so far I haven't heard a thing off BT except 1 email, only my second this year regarding any form of billing, that I have cancelled the direct debit, so will have to pay when I receive my bill, only I am moving providers to PLUSNET on the last day of my last bill.

wildthing666
Grafter

My advice is after the last payment has gone out cancel the direct debit instruction if you bank on-line it's really simple to do I had to wait a week for my last payment to go out then I cancelled so they cannot screw me out of money they claim I will owe them. I got fed up with their increases, since 2008 they have increased from £11 a month to £19, all but a penny, a month.

otec
Hooked

Update on my case.

So called them multiple times to discuss this issue. First of all, always select billing questions telephone options, this way you get connected with the UK based call center that is much more qualified and capable of helping. Any other option will route you to Indian based call center which is a waste of time.

So after multiple talks, they changed broadband move date to be the same as the phone line date, even though, they denied until the end that Openreach sent them a request to move a broadband.

They charged me for unused time until end of month and for an extra month of broadband, but a couple of weeks when the final bill came in, both charges were refunded.

All in all, I managed to disengage from BT with 0 cost.