Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT engineer to install BT phone line

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: BT engineer to install BT phone line

Unfortunately, @quinee58 The BT socket would cost you quite a bit to move - can't remember the exact price, but it is way North of £100. It is normally installed as close as practical to where the BT cable enters your property, unless it is a brand new one, and you can talk nicely to the installation engineer. As you already had a socket, and the engineer didn't have to enter your house to install one, the only option would be to pay the relocation charge. The payment you made to BT was to re-activate the old line.

It sounds like VM converted a BT extension socket when they did the installation, which means you would have to pay BT to reconnect the socket back to the main BT one in the hall, and it is not good practice to run broadband from an extension, anyway.

John
quinee58
Dabbler

was informed by plusnet at the start that a BT socket would be installed. l paid ~£50 for this, only to be emailed couple of days after payment made, that no need to install as got a BT socket already. as said it is in far end of house. what do you suggest for us to get BT scoket in living room?

jab1
Legend

Sounds as though there is some confusion here. The £50.00 was a re-activation charge - if it had been for a new line it would be more like £150.00. As I have said, if you wanted the main socket moving, it would be closer to the 'new line' charge, although, again, I am not certain of the cost, you could check online for that.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

There’s no charge to reactivate a stopped BT line. We’d charge £49.99 if we need an engineer to activate a BT line either externally or internally or both. 

If the service works in the existing BT socket then it sounds like we’d have to refund the £49.99. If the service doesn’t work, we’d book an engineer to investigate.

Moving a BT master socket or installing one where you’d want isn’t always possible through a ‘new line installation’ due to the amount of time the engineer’s allocated.

Master socket relocations are arranged a slightly different way and they do cost a fair bit more at £160.

Let me take a closer look when I’m back in the office tomorrow morning though. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

My apologies to @quinee58 (and @Gandalf ) - I got my details slightly wrong, obviously the charge was for the re-activation.

Surely though, if the OP has been with VM for a number of years, the BT line would need re-activating?

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The order details with Openreach show that a 'frames' engineer went to the exchange on the 25th February to activate the BT line. The appointment was automatically cancelled because Openreach saw from their records there was a BT socket, so there wasn't a requirement to send an engineer to the property.

The installation charge of £49.99 would still be valid as an engineer was needed. If Openreach were able to remotely restart the phone line without sending an engineer to the exchange then this charge wouldn't be applicable. 

From what I can see you're up and running as of yesterday morning 11:25 03/Mar/2021. If you'd want your master telephone socket relocating, I'm afraid that it would cost £160 for the reason I've explained last night. There may be a delay with this arranging this though as due to the pandemic, engineers are generally only going inside a property at the moment if there's total loss of service or no service already exists. 

With regards to your Virgin telephone number, I can see you gave us this during the online signup journey so we used your number as part of our order importing it from Virgin Media. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
quinee58
Dabbler

'There’s no charge to reactivate a stopped BT line'

l need the now centrally located vm socket to be a bt socket again. theres no charge for this? bt broadband had said that there would be  no charges to do this or fit a new socket if a bt broadband plan is taken out

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I think there's some confusion by my statement. Reactivating a stopped BT line happens at the exchange. We needed an engineer to go to the exchange to activate the line so I'm afraid the installation charge stands.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
quinee58
Dabbler

how much would it cost to have a bt socket fitted to living room so plusnet router can be fitted there, rather than far end of house?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It'd cost £160 as we'd arrange an engineer to move the master socket

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looking at this again there are other, likely better and cheaper, options to moving a master socket. If your wireless devices are too far away from the router to be effective, try a wireless mesh, wireless booster or additional router as a wireless access point. I can’t help with setting them up but I’m sure there’s people here who may be able to offer advice if you need it. 

If you have a computer you need to plug into the router but you can’t as it’s too far away, try looking at powerline adapters, although the quality of these would be subject to the quality of the internal electricity wiring and both power sockets being on the same circuit. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet