Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful move to new home service

FTTC
Dabbler

Awful move to new home service

Hello

I am very upset and frustrated at the way my home move service has so far been handled.  I have been a customer for 9 years.

I originally asked for the service to move on 30th Jan, the day of my house move.  I was forced to take up a new 24 month contract instead of just moving my existing phone and fibre broadband over.  I was told the move fees and line install fee was being waived as I had been a customer for so long.  I wasn't offered any deal on new contract (such as the sale that was on) apart from a £1.48pcm discount.  

The move date was somehow changed by the customer service agent to 31st.  They said they were booking in a BT/Openreach engineer to install the line at my new home for the day after. Fine, I would be home then unpacking.  However the text came through stating engineer visit on 4th Feb?  I called and waited on hold for ages to speak to someone to see if that could be changed to the previously agreed date.  No was the answer, these are booked in the day after, not at all what I was told at the time the booking was being made. 

The agent was also rude and condescending when I asked why the contract was being changed, why wasn't I offered the sale rate for a new contract.  Sale was for brand new customers only they said.  Also I can't see item for sale next day then ask for item bought previous day at full rate for sale price when sale just started.. I pointed out the sale had been on for days as there is a count down timer on the web page offer.  No answer.

I was told also the move and line install fees were being waived as I was taking a new contract for 24 months, not because of my customer loyalty!  I was also told I couldn't get out of the new contract that I'd been signed up to.  I reminded the agent of the 14 day cooling off period, which they tried hard to talk their way out of.  I was so fed up I said just leave it, all I want is the move to be done, on time at the agreed times.

So I took extra time off work and waited in yesterday morning. No one showed up.  I called and waited on hold for over 20 mins then was transferred into another call queue with a wait time of 30mins, before the line was cut after holding for a further 15 mins.  I called again in the afternoon, to be told there was a note to say appointment was due for completion on 7th Feb, but I had never heard of this date before that call.  Why was I never told about this before?  I had to ask the guy to forward me that note by email.

Before I arrange to take even more time off work for Thursday can someone please tell me if a BT/Openreach engineer will actually be coming to my house to install a new line?  If I have to wait in again and no one arrives I will have to invoice Plusnet for my wasted time, which works out to be about £60 per hour on a day rate of £536.

The call waiting times and lack of any online chat is terrible.  I don't seem to get a straight answer from anyone and I can't call BT/Openreach as they have the contract with you.  So far this has been a truly excruciating move experience.  Why has the service of this company gone down so badly?  I have moved my broadband and phone before and it was never this hard!

Will a manager or someone get back to me ASAP and tell me that a BT/Openreach engineer IS coming on Thursday morning please.  Will they also talk to me about the contract issues I've written about please?  I am not at all a happy customer.

Thank you

17 REPLIES 17
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Awful move to new home service

Sorry for the experience you've had.

Unfortunately the delay with your appointment date is due to engineer availability in your area. When we placed your order with our suppliers the earliest showing provisional date was the 04/02/19 as per the email/text message via ticket 186665240.

It's a bit disappointing to see that we didn't notify you via email and text the confirmed appointment date of the 07/02/2019 between 8am and 1pm on this occasion. I'll make sure feedback is passed on to the adviser regarding this.

With regards to the cost of your house move contract, we'd be covering £114.99 worth of one off fees. If you prefer to pay this instead and stay on your previous agreement, feel free to PM me a rough time for a call and I'll be happy to call you back.

Once you're up and running if you drop us a reply over here we'll be happy to offer you a gesture of goodwill.

Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FTTC
Dabbler

Thank you @Gandalf for confirming there will be an engineer attending tomorrow morning.  You're right it is very disappointing that I've not been kept informed.  This information should be standard to prevent anyone wasting valuable time.  Unfortunatley it appears others are also experiencing this issue, which Plusnet need to address urgently.  The review websites ratings for the company are not good reading right now and if I'd seen them before placing the move order, I'd be spending my money elsewhere!

The different things I've been told by each of the customer service agents is also extremely worring.  Customers have every right to be respected and not given 'fob offs' when speaking to customer service agents.  If we spend up to 30 mins on hold with no idea of how long until we are to be spoken to, only to be then transferred internally to yet more lengthy hold music, our patience very quickly evaporates.

I was quite happy as a customer as I'd been using the fibre broadband at my last home with little problem for the past 6 years, and before that ADSL at a previous property.  I'd not had to get in touch with customer services for probably 6 years but I recall that my experience was 100% different back then.  Why has the customer service gone downhill so badly in that time?  Plusnet management need to address the issues I've experienced as it sells the brand with customer service being a major tenant of it!

I will be in touch once again here, after Thursday morning when I hope to have a working fibre broadband service once again. I will be interested to see what gesture of goodwill you will make.

Thank you

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries and I'm sorry you've had a poor experience on this occasion.

Let us know how your installation goes tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FTTC
Dabbler

Hello @Gandalf

Thankfully the (Kelly Group) Openreach attended today and after fitting a new (bigger) master socked the line and fibre broadband came active just before midday.  The broadband did stop after about 5 mins, and I left for work before seeing if it came back up again.  I hope it will be active again once I get home.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us, it looks like you're up and running now:

I've added a reply to your ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=186665240 with an offer for a gesture of goodwill. Let us know over here once you've updated it and we'll be happy to take a look.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FTTC
Dabbler

@Gandalf the logs on the router state [Internet disconnected] Thursday, Feb 07,2019 16:15:58 and it's not been connected since then.  It's now nearly 1800hrs.  It's not clear why there is a loss of sync on the fibre connection.  Will you investigate please.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear that.

Our tests aren't showing the cause for the loss of sync but we'd need to arrange an engineer to further investigate this. Before we go down that path, can you try the steps Here to rule out any internal wiring which may be affecting this.

If you continue to experience problems, please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it: https://goo.gl/ZMu71n so we can pass this on to our suppliers and arrange an engineer visit.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FTTC
Dabbler

Hello @Gandalf thank you for checking.

The master socket is a new 5C master socket with built in filter.  I've rebooted the Openreach VDSL modem.  No sync still.  Tested with no phone equipment attached.  I've also ran through the online troubleshooter you linked to.  Sync is still down. Sad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Are you able to remove the faceplate and plug your modem into the test socket with a filter?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FTTC
Dabbler

@Gandalf I've removed the faceplate and tested with a microfilter I have.  Sync was achieved, but speed seems slow at 37.5Mbps average.  I also tried again with the 5C faceplate - Sync was achieved with similar result.  Engineer and the email from Plusnet said we'd achieve 65Mbps+

What tests would you like me to run again please?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

While your connection has come back in the test socket:

your line speeds are definitely lower than where we'd expect:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 45.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.1 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 730.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-02-07T10:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 3.5 Mbps 47.2 Mbps 5.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 6.8 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 6.9 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 772.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 11.0 0.7
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-02-07T18:43:15Z 2019-02-07T18:58:15Z
Ingress Code Violation 1 1
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

I'd recommend reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net nudging us here when you've done so and we'll arrange that engineer visit to investigate this further.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FTTC
Dabbler

Thank you @Gandalf for taking a look into this.  I've run through the fault finding and logged a fault ticket.  I've added some comments to that ticket to explain to them what tests I've run and the speeds being experienced.  I've not checked my router logs today to see if there were any more losses of sync to the Openreach modem.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Thanks @FTTC, it looks like the sync is still pretty low.

We're being asked to book an appointment to proceed, could you drop us a message back here once you've responded to the ticket with the requested information and we'll get that picked up and booked in as soon as possible for you.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
FTTC
Dabbler

Hi @HarryB I simply cannot accept any possibility of a charge to my account for this. The cabling in my property, including new 5C master socket has just been installed by the Openreach engineer, yesterday. The equipment connected to it, is exactly the same as my last property where I didn't get drops in sync and achieved 69Mbps down and 19Mbps upload the vast majority of the time.

I appreciate you are trying to help and I thank you for it, however, I will not accept any possibility of a charge on my account. Thank you.

@Gandalf