Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation

FIXED
ryansuchocki
Grafter

Activation

My phone line has been active for a day or so, and the broadband is supposed to be activated "by midnight on 25/05/2021" (today). It's 22:20 now and I've not had any activation message. I'm getting pretty concerned that nothing's going to happen.

39 REPLIES 39
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Activation

@ryansuchocki - It can be any time to midnight - I would wait until tomorrow morning, plug the router in ( even if you have had no notification) and see what happens - it does take a while for all the components to mesh together.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

As discussed on another post - sounds like it should have been active by 23:59:59 on 24th.
Have you tried plugging the router in?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ryansuchocki
Grafter

Yes, I've tried plugging the router in. The LED goes through green, blue, flashing orange then steady orange. Digging into the router settings a bit more, it appears that the DSL link is up but the "Internet" is disconnected.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

what is the username showing under broadband?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ryansuchocki
Grafter

At first it showed the default/setup username. Now it has changed itself to my username @plusdsl.net, but still disconnected. Clicking 'connect' doesn't change it.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @ryansuchocki

Thanks for reaching out via our Forum. It appears that our suppliers have had a few issues in triggering what we call the KCI3 - the notification of completion on your order. This matter has been picked up by our Provisioning Team, and we've been advised that the order is due to complete within the next 48 working hours. Please accept our apologies for the slight delay.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
ryansuchocki
Grafter

I haven't heard the phrase "working hours" before. Is that equivalent to 2 working days or 6 working days?

Anyway, 48 hours have now passed and there's no change. Sad
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @ryansuchocki

Thank you for your response. 48 working hours basically means two working days, correct.

Our Provisioning Team initially raised this issue with Openreach on Wednesday, we were told that it should be resolved within the next two working days. This means that we have to allow them up until midnight tonight before raising this again. I've contacted them this morning and was basically told that we're still within the lead time that was advised on Wednesday.

I've created an open ticket on your account which will enable our Provisioning Team to actively monitor this for you. Again, please accept our apologies for the delay.

Adam
ryansuchocki
Grafter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I got the activation email half an hour ago and (after doing a factory reset on the router) I'm now connected. This is a huge relief!

The router has synced at 30.1 Mbps, which is below my estimated range of 50 - 69Mbps and minimum guaranteed speed of 44.5Mbps.

I understand that I should wait a few weeks to let DLM do its thing, but I thought it would start at the "fast and unreliable" end and come down over time?

jab1
Legend

@ryansuchocki I may be wrong here, but that suggests to me you have line fault somewhere - as you say, it should go down from the initial speed, and as you are below your minimum, I'm even more convinced.

Maybe @adam945 could run a check for you?

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @ryansuchocki

As the service has only been activated within the last hour or so, I wouldn't worry about this too much for now. Profiles / download speeds are expected to fluctuate, for up to 10 working days even, before the line becomes stable. If you continue to encounter the same issues after that, feel free to reach out.

Adam
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ryansuchocki  The 10 day thing is a fallacy, I have always thought it is an excuse for Plusnet or Openreach to do nothing for a while, the line will sync at the best speed it can with the default SNR margin as soon as it is connected. If it is unstable DLM will reduce the speed by banding the line profile (capping at a lower speed), on the other hand if it is stable and the FTTC cabinet supports it G.Inp will be enabled in a day or 2 which will then start SNR margin reduction from 6dB down to 3 dB over a number of days giving increased speeds. However I expect Plusnet will stick to their do nothing for 10 days rule even though the line is well below expected speeds.☹️

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @RealAleMadrid . my thoughts exactly, which is why I suggested a proper test. But I suppose it is easier for PN/BT to leave the customer hanging.

John
ryansuchocki
Grafter

OK, well I guess I'll report a fault in 10 days time (barring some miraculous "fluctuation")... Thanks guys.