cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation of upgrade to fibre

conormegaw
Hooked

Activation of upgrade to fibre

I got an email at 05:08 this morning to say my product change was complete.

My ADSL has been deactivated and my phone line has been disrupted through the day.

However my new router won’t connect and I just get a flashing red light.

Will anything really change between 22:30 and midnight or is there likely to be a problem with my upgrade?

Cheers,
Conor
11 REPLIES 11
conormegaw
Hooked

Re: Activation of upgrade to fibre

Still nothing this morning. Not happy being without internet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @conormegaw

Sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems following the completion of your Fibre order.

Testing the connection is flagging up that the router is either not connected or not powered up and is pointing towards potential problems within the premises.

Please could you have a run through our troubleshooting guides Here and if you continue to experience problems after this, please report a fault over at https://faults.plus.net and let us know once you've done this.

We'll then be able to get the ticket booked up and progress with an engineer appointment.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
conormegaw
Hooked

Hi Harry,

Thanks for taking a look.

My old Zyxel router was giving me a steady 17MB before the upgrade to fibre, so I’m not sure it’s an internal set up issue.

I’m home this afternoon and will run some diagnostics. I will check the phone line as it kept tripping the monitored alarm yesterday.

Conor
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Conor.

Sorry about the bumpy start to your fibre service.

I can see we've got an engineer visit booked in.

Can you let us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
conormegaw
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for your message.

Of course I will. When I checked the master socket, there was no dial tone so I guess that was the problem.

As to why there is no dial tone, let’s hope the engineer can sort it on Thursday 😀

Cheers, Conor
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fingers crossed it's all sorted in one go, Conor.

Cheers

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
conormegaw
Hooked

Thanks Anoush.

So it turns out the BTOR had connected us in the cabinet to the wrong port.  92 instead of 82.

Engineer that visited yesterday was brilliant and resolved it pretty quickly and then did a full set of tests to make sure everything was working.

I am a bit surprised I am only getting 37Mb given I am 70m from the cab, but it is more than enough for our needs.

Cheers,

Conor

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

What fibre product have you ordered? That speed suggests you are on the 40/10 Unlimited fibre service. Can you check the connection stats in the router to confirm your sync speeds.

conormegaw
Hooked

You are right, I am on 40/10.

I am not at home to check the sync speeds, but I thought I might see faster than 37 as I regularly saw 17-20 on ADSL.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

37Mbps is the best you will get on the 40/10 service. The IP profile and protocol overheads reduce the throughput speed by a few Mbps and what you got on ADSL has nothing to do with it. If you want more speed you have to pay more for Fibre Extra.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Conor.

So it turns out the BTOR had connected us in the cabinet to the wrong port.  92 instead of 82.

That's a bit of a facepalm moment.

Engineer that visited yesterday was brilliant and resolved it pretty quickly and then did a full set of tests to make sure everything was working.

Glad to hear this. If you would like to pass your thanks onto the engineer I'd recommend filling out this form to let Openreach know: https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0a0e0c

I am a bit surprised I am only getting 37Mb given I am 70m from the cab, but it is more than enough for our needs.

Unfortunately due to the reasons @RealAleMadrid has advised it's unlikely you'll see the full sync rate of 40mbps on a speed test, but if you would like faster speeds in the future you could upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra (80/20).

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet