cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation dates Sky vs Plusnet

garethcollins
Hooked

Activation dates Sky vs Plusnet

I ordered Plusnet Fibre on Friday 20/04/18 and am switching from Sky.

I hadn’t heard anything since the ‘thanks for your order’ email so I called in today. Apparently the order is delayed and the next update will be on 03/05/18.

Couple of questions:

1. Why has it been delayed? I thought these things happen pretty smoothly these days.

2. Why do we have to wait a whole week for the next update? Why can’t anyone commit to the originally selected date of 07/05/18 when I was placing my order online, or at least say that’s too quick?

I received a letter from Sky today saying that they’re sorry I’m leaving and as of 07/05/18 my service with them will be disconnected as this is when you (Plusnet) have told them the switch will take place.

Why do Sky seem to think that it’s definitely happening on 07/05/18 and will I have a gap in service once they cut me off on this day?
11 REPLIES 11
garethcollins
Hooked

Re: Activation dates Sky vs Plusnet

Hello

I’m reading lots of bad stuff about delays to fibre orders and people getting cut off.

Sky have insisted today that my service with them will end on the original date that plusnet told them - 07/05/18.

Can anyone from plusnet confirm if my switch will happen then or be delayed and hence I’ll be without a service?

@Gandalf or @adamwalker perhaps?

Thanks all
Gareth
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Gareth.

I'm sorry to hear about the delays you're experiencing with your order.

1. Why has it been delayed? I thought these things happen pretty smoothly these days.

Unfortunately our suppliers requested your number to be imported on a bank holiday, which ultimately meant your order went into a delayed state because the port couldn't be fulfilled.

I can see they've resubmitted the number port. Our suppliers ask for a lead time of 4 working days for your current provider to respond. We should have an update on your order next week.

2. Why do we have to wait a whole week for the next update? Why can’t anyone commit to the originally selected date of 07/05/18 when I was placing my order online, or at least say that’s too quick?

In an ideal situation the order should've committed to a date 24-48 hours after it was placed with Openreach. Unfortunately we can't provide a committed date before this because the order has to be built in several of their systems first.

Why do Sky seem to think that it’s definitely happening on 07/05/18 and will I have a gap in service once they cut me off on this day?

I'm unsure why your current provider have confirmed the transfer date when the order hasn't committed yet. I'd expect your service to carry on working with them until we've taken over the line.

If you're concerned I'd recommend getting in touch with Sky to make sure they don't close your account down on their side before the line has been taken over.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
garethcollins
Hooked

Thanks @Gandalf

I’ve just got off the phone with one of the team...

Turns out fibre isn’t available in my cabinet and there’s a waiting list. Despite it being available and allowing me to place an order with you.

Funnily enough Sky and Vodafone are offering me fibre too. Will I hit the same issue with them do you think? Or is just that plusnet has a waiting list in my area for fibre?

Anyway needless to say my order has been cancelled and I’ve got a refund for the line rental coming. What a waste of time and effort on all parts!

Shambolic plusnet

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Gareth.

Unfortunately it looks like after your fibre order was placed with our suppliers, the fibre availability for your address changed to show no capacity at the cabinet at present. You can check this at www.dslchecker.bt.com

I've also taken the time to discuss this with our suppliers and they've advised that it's likely once the delay with the number port is resolved that the order would hit another delay because of capacity.

I'm afraid that it's unlikely another provider will be able to get an order in place until records show availability again.

I do sincerely apologise for any disappointment.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
garethcollins
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf

Fair enough. These things happen.

How do you get on said waiting list? Can you add me?

Also my phone number is showing ‘no results’ on the dsl checker website (probably because it’s a new line).

Do you have my Line Access ID or UPRN by chance as you can search on those other two fields?
Thanks
Gareth
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Gareth.

Unfortunately only existing orders can be placed on a waiting list with our suppliers and as your orders have been cancelled we'll need to replace the order which I'm afraid we can't do because records show no capacity.

When we place an order with BT Wholesale, their systems would check DSL Checker and wouldn't allow us to carry on placing the order if there's no capacity.

You'll be able to search DSL Checker using your landline telephone number, but I've sent you an e-mail with the ALID of your line. The UPRN isn't something I believe we can see. Either way the ALID shows a waiting list too. Sad

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I only noticed UPRN on the DSL Checker today.

Thanks to a post on another thread I was able to find mine by doing an address search on the planning department page of my local council website.

Brian

garethcollins
Hooked

@Gandalf
I didn’t cancel the order, plusnet did. I was on the phone to someone called Michael. He said everything looked fine for switchover of 08/05/18. But then rang me back minutes later saying that there is no availability and he would recommend cancelling the order as it couldn’t be fulfilled. Which I agreed to, what else was I meant to do?

But it sounds as if from what you’re saying that if I’d just left the order as was, i would have been on this waiting list and the order would have been fulfilled once capacity became available. Better than my current situation. Thanks a lot plusnet!

Thanks for the ALID, it worked fine. As I say, my phone number doesn’t work on the dslchecker as it’s too new a property.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the ALID, it worked fine. As I say, my phone number doesn’t work on the dslchecker as it’s too new a property.

No problems, sorry I should've mentioned to search by your address.

Your landline number doesn't work as it's likely connected to LLU equipment at the exchange (As opposed to BT Wholesale equipment), as Sky use their own equip in a lot of exchanges.

I'm sorry if the adviser who rang you back didn't make you aware the order would sit on a waiting list.

I'll make sure some feedback is passed on about that.

Unfortunately there's not much we can do moving forward. If you're still wanting to sign up with us, all I can suggest is create an account on an ADSL offer then we'll be happy to upgrade your service to fibre once available.

Alternatively, if you keep an eye on DSL Checker and re-signup once fibre is available.

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
garethcollins
Hooked

No it’s ok thanks. I’ll be staying well clear of plusnet from now.

Honestly one of the worst companies for poor communication, contradictions and fob offs I’ve ever dealt with.

Clearly @Gandalf you understand the technical process going on behind the scenes but your colleagues on the telephone most certainly do not.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear you feel that way.

Whilst in the process of passing feedback on, I've just discussed this with the provisioning adviser you spoke to.

If we had left your fibre order open with our suppliers there would've been a strong possibility that your service with your current provider would've stopped working once the phone order completed.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet