Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation Friday 26/03 - no router received

FIXED
mpw33cfr
Dabbler

Activation Friday 26/03 - no router received

Plusnet activated my service on Friday 26th, as planned. However, I have not yet received the Plusnet router. I received an email on Wednesday 24th advising that the router would be dispatched the same day. Why did they wait so long after the order date (Friday 12th) before dispatching the router? I've switched broadband/home phone supplier many times and i have never before been left in this situation, i.e no broadband.

I'm beginning to think that I made a mistake choosing Plusnet as my supplier 🙃

17 REPLIES 17
mpw33cfr
Dabbler

Re: Activation Friday 26/03 - no router received

Two weeks ago, Fri 26/03/21, my Plusnet service was activated but i have not yet received the Plusnet router. Tue 30/03/21 I called Customer Services and was told that a second router was being dispatched and should be delivered by the end of the week. Further, I should call them when it was received to sort out a refund of some sort. 

I ordered a router from Amazon and that was delivered as expected so I'm not without broadband though I am annoyed that the Plusnet router has not been received. Had I not forked out £70+ for a suitable router then I would be now be two weeks into my contract but well & truly offline. 

Then there's the excess data consumed on mobile phones for the 4 days that i was without a usable router...

Come on Plusnet, sort yourselves out. This is just not good enough (and there's plenty worse off than me here in the Community)!   

mpw33cfr
Dabbler

Almost another week gone and still no Plusnet router received. Order date 12th March, activation date 26th March. Quite laughable!  😀😀

mpw33cfr
Dabbler

Just to update... I called Plusnet again on 4th May rearding non-delivery of router #1 and router #2, the chap said he would arrange delivery of router #3. OK, I said, I'll let you know when it's received.

Needless to say it has not been received. Today, I called Plusnet again and the end result is that Plusnet will reimburse me for the TP-LINK router that I bought from Amazon (delivered within 24hrs of placing the order...). In return, I agreed that Plusnet were not obliged to supply their own router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome firstly to our community forums @mpw33cfr 

I'm sorry for the issues you've had getting a router from us. I've looked into this and I can see we've passed two routers across to Royal Mail by 1st class post, one on the 24th March as you've indicated and another on the 6th May. 

Looking at the timeline of events based on what you've said here and the notes on your account, the first router was the initial automatically ordered one and the third router you've mentioned was the RMA. Not sure if there was some confusion on the second call but the adviser didn't order a router then so there were only two routers sent. Notes indicate that we'd offer a goodwill gesture once you'd received the first router. 

We'd automatically dispatch a router a few days before an activation date that's sent from our warehouse further up north (Northallerton I believe, looking Here) but they're not tracked unfortunately. 

Having said that though two routers should've reached you fine. I've checked the address we'd have used for the shipping label and this matches the address on your account and the address on the postcode address file (PAF) so I'm a little bewildered how or why you've not received either of them. Sad

In these I'd say rare instances, I'd normally grab a router from the office (in Sheffield) and physically hand it to our postroom team to post by guaranteed special delivery for when Royal Mail collect letters or hardware from us (Franked Mail). I'd then keep an eye on it from the window, making sure it got on the truck.

However I'm happy to see you've got your own router and we've reimbursed you. 

Apologies for the experience you've had and let us know if there are further issues or anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mpw33cfr
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf

Thanks for your message. The CS rep that I spoke to today was actually quite rude by the end of the call. Basically, I was left with a choice between pursuing a claim via the Regulator or 2) accepting the reimbursement for the router that I had bought to enable use of the broadband service that I have been paying for. I chose 2).

I don’t believe that either of the two routers was dispatched by Plusnet, which I suspect is due to some kind of system error. The system thinks it has dispatched the routers but something is not right. It would be extremely unusual for one router to be non-delivered and for two routers to be non-delivered is just not possible.

I’d prefer to receive & use the Plusnet router, rather than use a 3rd party router, so is it possible for you to send one as you describe in your message?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hello, thanks for getting back to me @mpw33cfr 

Apologies for the experience you've had over the phone, I'll listen to the call and arrange for feedback to be passed on. The regulator wouldn't handle your complaint though, our complaints process if we can't agree on a resolution can be found here https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/#what-to-do-if-youre-still-not-happy

If our hardware guru of our products team (who roams these forums) wasn't on holiday this week, he'd be able to take a look however in my almost 7 years here I've never seen routers not be dispatched as the system says, so I suspect and I'm happy to be wrong, that they're lost in the post. 

I haven't actually posted a router from the office in about 18 months as it's very rare we'd need to, so there are two caveats with arranging this now. I got to firstly see if we have any Hub One's (if we don't, I apologise for bringing it up) and also I'm working from home (since first lockdown) so I'll have to find someone who's in the office still. 

I've dropped a colleague an email and I'll post back once I know more.

In the meantime, I assume it's not urgent? As you've got your own router to use at the moment Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @mpw33cfr 

I've got a colleague from our Advocates department who's still in the office to post a Hub One to you.

It should be with Royal Mail tomorrow via tracked delivery. Once I get the tracking number I'll email you it. 

I hope this helps.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mpw33cfr
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf

You're a star and, not only that, you have proved just how simple and straightforward things can be when companies have the right people in place. Thank you! That said, the router has not yet arrived... I will advise you when it does.

Regarding the non-delivery of the two previously dispatched routers, we will have to agree to disagree. I don't see how/why two properly addressed items have not been delivered by Royal Mail. The fact that Plusnet does not use some form of track/trace is a big downside and i don't understand why you don't use an alternative method of delivery. Any potential cost saving is lost due to the increased workload on CS representatives dealing with late/non-delivery queries.

What will happen now regarding the reimbursement for the 3rd party router i had to buy? I feel that reimbursement should be made along with some sort of goodwill gesture. 

Cheers

mpw33cfr

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix
@mpw33cfr wrote:

You're a star and, not only that, you have proved just how simple and straightforward things can be when companies have the right people in place. Thank you! That said, the router has not yet arrived... I will advise you when it does.

No problem, the earliest the router could arrive is tomorrow as I'm told it'll be in the postie's hands today, and I imagine that's only if it's sent next day delivery. I can't guarantee it will be but it should be tracked at the very least. 

I've prodded the guy who said he'll arrange this with our postroom team... once he gets back to me, I'll let you know.

Regarding the non-delivery of the two previously dispatched routers, we will have to agree to disagree. I don't see how/why two properly addressed items have not been delivered by Royal Mail. 

I can't prove or disprove this, I can only go from my experience and what the systems say. Smiley

The fact that Plusnet does not use some form of track/trace is a big downside and i don't understand why you don't use an alternative method of delivery. Any potential cost saving is lost due to the increased workload on CS representatives dealing with late/non-delivery queries.

I absolutely agree and I'm certain our products team would likely agree too as some sort of tracking would save us on routers going missing but as it stands our routers aren't sent out tracked unfortunately. There may very well be plans in the works to do this as I know we post YouView boxes tracked via courier.

What will happen now regarding the reimbursement for the 3rd party router i had to buy? I feel that reimbursement should be made along with some sort of goodwill gesture. 

I believe we've already arranged the reimbursement of the router you've bought in the form of a cheque. Happy to look at a goodwill gesture once you've got our router.

Depending on the router you've bought it may actually be a higher spec than our router so personally it might be worth just continuing to use it. Either way though you'll have our router you could use as a backup.

Cheers

[edit]

NEWS JUST IN. I'm told it'll be with the postie after 3pm today, and it'll be sent next day delivery (before 1pm)

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@mpw33cfr To update the thread, the router's ready to be collected by Royal Mail after 3pm today and I've emailed you the tracking reference. It'll be sent by guaranteed next day delivery before 1pm so you'll get it tomorrow. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mpw33cfr
Dabbler

So, without the fanfare and celebration than the event deserved, the Postie delivered the router this morning. Thanks to all involved! 👏👏

Gandalf, I’ll send you the SN of the router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome, glad to see the router arrived quickly. 🎉

It looks like my colleague who arranged the shipping added the router serial number to your account before boxing it up.

Let me know how it goes once you've set the router up.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mpw33cfr
Dabbler

The 3rd party router, TPLINK VR400/V3, is doing OK at the moment so I’m loath to install the Plusnet router right now. As mentioned in your earlier post, can we now agree some sort of goodwill gesture to move towards closure of this question/case?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Makes sense, no problem @mpw33cfr 

I've raised a support ticket 214706613 you'll be able to view and reply to by logging into your account with an offer of a goodwill gesture which I hope helps. Let me know (reply to the ticket) if you'd be happy to accept.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet