cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL to Fibre changeover

FIXED
hammarbytp

ADSL to Fibre changeover

I am planned to changeover to Fibre on Friday, however I will not be around and my wife is worried that we lose internet access.

Will there be a period of grace in which my ADSL line will stay up, before I have to switch over to my new connection or do I have to postpone the upgrade?

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: ADSL to Fibre changeover

@hammarbytp 

Will there be a period of grace in which my ADSL line will stay up,

No, the adsl connection will stop as soon  as the fibre connection is made at the cabinet

However, have you ordered and been sent the Plusnet Hub One router ?

If so you can connect it now , it will work with the existing Adsl and automatically switch to fibre once the  connection is made at the cabinet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hammarbytp

Yes I have ordered a Plusnet Hub, but I was hoping to have a little more time to switch all the wifi devices over.

If the hub does not arrive before Wednesday is it possible to postpone the changeover? There is a very little window of opportunity to do the work required before I go away?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

In theory you don't have to change all your WiFi units - just change the SSID / password in the new router to match the old one. Note that if you do this with a WiFi connection you'll need to access the Admin page vian the new SSID and when you make the change you'll lose the connection until you log back in.

Brian

hammarbytp

It is not the process itself, but the very small window of opportunity to do it. I still don't know when the router will arrive and it may have very little time to set it up, which may cause issue.

When I changed to Fibre I assumed i would have more time

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for getting in touch @hammarbytp I've got some good news and also some bad news. Good news first is that you'll have a bit more time to prepare for the upgrade, the bad news is that you'd need to wait until the 29th. Unfortunately your fibre order has been delayed by our suppliers due to engineer availability. Sad

We normally order a new router a few days before a completion date, but just to make sure it arrives in time and you can prepare, I've manually ordered it now and you should receive this week.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hammarbytp

Hi,

well good news (sort of) Smiley Thanks for the help

Aaronj

Re: broadband speed problems

5mps downspeeding thats all i got any ideas done all the tests still the same ?

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: broadband speed problems

Hi Aaronj,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Can you please try an Ethernet connection and confirm you have gone through the following Wi-Fi test and still get this? Please also confirm you are connected to the test socket and run the test again.

If the issue persists please get back to us with your username in a private message so we can look at this again.

Thanks - LF