cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL to Fibre Upgrade

tiffy
Rising Star

ADSL to Fibre Upgrade

Applied for ADSL to fibre upgrade on Saturday, 27/05/17, opted to take the VDSL2 router offered, P&P duly paid.
Transfer completion is currently scheduled for Wed. 07/06/17 by 24:00 hrs..

I am assuming I will receive the new router before the currently scheduled migration completion date, my question is, can I connect this up to my current ADSL2+ system in order to become familiar with the units operation, in particular I would like to get the dedicated PN Hub one (BT HH5a) Router Stats monitoring program working prior to the system migration.
I appreciate that I may have to change some configuration settings on the router for ADSL service but I will ensure that all the settings as supplied are recorded before connection to the phone line and anything changed is restored to original after being advised that migration is complete.

6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: ADSL to Fibre Upgrade

@tiffy

The Hub One is both ADSL and VDSL(FTTC) compatible so it will work with an existing ADSL connection.

It should also retrieve your Plusnet username and password when it is first plugged in using a system called TR069. So it should be plug and play.

When the line switches to VDSL, it should also spot this and reconfigure correctly.

I would not trust the date given by the automatic ordering system but I would wait until the working week starts (Tuesday) and ask Plusnet to confirm the actual installation date as given by Openreach. It can vary (into the future) as it depends on the availability of Openreach staff to do the work and this may take a few days post order to be sorted out. Ditto confirm that the router order is there too.

(These are 2 common faults in the ordering process. I not being negative, just cautious)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
tiffy
Rising Star

Many thanks for the most informative reply, much appreciated.
I certainly was not aware that the router could virtually self configure between the two systems, very clever, so, I should not have any issues with installing this before the migration takes place assuming that it arrives before that occurs.

Yes, I will keep an eye on the PN ordering system come Tuesday after the bank holiday, so far all appears in order judging by the "my questions" postings which I check on a regular basis, has already been updated once since the original order was placed on Saturday to advise of a later date for completion than the original estimate provided.
Having said that, I have never received any e-mails to date reflecting the information displayed on the "my questions" postings, perhaps not surprising at the week end.

I do note on the forum that there have been quite a number of "no shows" of routers and reminders were required to set things into motion.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi tiffy

I can confirm your fibre upgrade is in progress for the 6th June. You'll receive an automated email in the early hours of the morning, but I'd expect the actual work to be carried out during normal business hours.

As SpendLessTime has advised you can use your new Hub One with your existing ADSL connection, and, once the upgrade happens, you'll automatically be on fibre broadband. There may be a little downtime as the work is carried out.

@SpendLessTime wrote:
I would not trust the date given by the automatic ordering system but I would wait until the working week starts (Tuesday) and ask Plusnet to confirm the actual installation date as given by Openreach. It can vary (into the future) as it depends on the availability of Openreach staff to do the work and this may take a few days post order to be sorted out.

Whilst this is true, I believe the problem where our internal system doesn't receive updates to changes to a fibre installation date has been fixed as in recent days I've seen the date automatically adjust.

@SpendLessTime wrote:
Ditto confirm that the router order is there too.

The router should be ordered automatically about 48 hours before the go live date, though I've just ordered this now which you should receive notification of by email shortly.

Let us know how you get on with your upgrade.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Gandalf wrote:

Whilst this is true, I believe the problem where our internal system doesn't receive updates to changes to a fibre installation date has been fixed as in recent days I've seen the date automatically adjust.

That is good to hear Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
tiffy
Rising Star

Gandalf,

Many thanks for your update on my recently migration request, most appreciated.
Please note, as the migration request was only submitted on Saturday and today is a bank holiday I was not really expecting any action on my order until tomorow so was pleasently surprised to receive the update today, the technical aspect of my post has been very eloquently answered  by "SpendLess Time" and confirmed by yourself, again most appreciated.

I confirm I have received e-mail's on my order status and a text confirming pending dispatch of my router.

For the record, I have been with Plusnet for approx. 8 years and have always had very good service, obviously the majority of members visit the forum to look for or seek advice on a perceived issue and there is indeed a wealth of knowledge amongst the members and the Plusnet staff which is freely given, yes, there are bound to be contentious or unresolved issues from time to time, however, I believe that praise and recognition for good service should be freely expressed where merited.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems tiffy.

Here's to another 8 years of good service, good fibre service.

Let me know if you ever have any questions or issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet