cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A catalogue of issues around my order

stigmata
Hooked

A catalogue of issues around my order

I've never had cause to complain about Plusnet before, and I'm having to take to the forum as I have had no reply in relation to  my issues and current situation through the traditional means (and trying to call to chase is virtually impossible at the moment).

I moved house just over 2 weeks ago, informed Plusnet a month prior to moving and organised. Thus started the comedy  of errors.

1) The phone socket in the new house was in an unusable place as it had no power close by for a router. At my previous residence, when having Plusnet installed there, the engineer came to the house and installed an appropriate vDSL socket in the right place as part of the go-live service. Here, the engineer didn't turn up to the house at all despite my disabled partner waiting at the new house all day while I moved our furniture in. I ended up being charged £160 by Plusnet to organise having the socket moved to a location that meant I could use the service (the person I spoke to organise this was lovely however and very understanding). This outcome was not something discussed as part of the provisioning conversation when talking about the house move at the start and certainly I was not warned that might be the case (nor, given previous experience, something that I would expected to have occured - the terminal of the connection in the home is as much part of the service  as the line or cabinet).

2) In order to get access on the service in the short term, and to be able to return to work, I had to buy a micro-filter and extension lead to run a temporary connection to the kitchen from the router in the front room so I could work. This was another unplanned-for expense due to the lack of communications and made moving in harder with loose cable all over the place.

3) In the process, my Youview service has been cancelled. I did not ask for this to happen. Upon calling (and waiting over an hour to speak to someone) I was told I should have been told this was going to happen but that it was only temporary due to the house move and a new box will be sent out to me. This was over a fortnight ago and I still have no Youview service nor the Youview + box I was assured I would get.

4) In relation to the socket move, I was assured I would be contacted within 48 hours of my initial contact for the engineer date to be organised. I had to chase this some 4 days later instead and got a reply the following day. The engineer came the following week and the socket moved at last.

5) I have since chased the Youview situation  and have had no reply in relation to this since the 3rd October. I still have no box and Youview is missing on my account dashboard.

6) I have heard nothing around the complaint I have raised around the poor communication and the resulting, what I feel is unnecessary, £160 extra charge, plus other expenses out of my pocket as a result, since the 3rd October.

I'd appreciate the above to be resolved and preferably to have a conversation before I take any further action given the issues and costs all arising from appalling communications (which coming from a company providing communications takes irony to whole new level).

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: A catalogue of issues around my order

@stigmata 

I understand that you feel hard done to but a few facts:

Broadband has been 'self install' now for yesrs. If there's an existing socket connected to the BT infrastructure then the service will be connected to that with no engineer visit. If the socket is not in a convenient place for you then it is your responsibility to identify this and pay for it to be moved. This is a separate service these days. It is not Plusnet's responsibility to ask if your connection points are in a convenient position before supplying the service to an existing outlet. You just can't assume that services offered years ago still exist.

You would have been supplied with a microfilter with your hub. Assuming that you took your hub with you when you moved then presumably you have lost it along the way.

So apart from your Youview service being cancelled and not yet restarted I fear that you have little to complain about, although no doubt you will disagree.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers for your time on the phone just now, it was really nice talking to you. 

Again I'm so sorry for the mistakes made here and hope my explanations of changes to the provisioning processes for house moves and fibre led to the need for a socket move and no engineer visit needing to take place. 

As promised I'll be back in touch on Friday to follow things up with you and I've documented our conversation in full on your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=206780296

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stigmata
Hooked

I object to the "no doubt" and your tone was perhaps not quite as intended as I'm not massively unreasonable but I do take your points.

The self-install thing has indeed changed and I was unaware (I've just been speaking to a top chap who explained). For most people an unsuitably placed socket wouldn't be an issue but I'd contend a question as to its feasibility as part of the move/onboarding process and an explanation as to the requirements and associated costs would be more useful than having to find out afterwards. You are right about assumptions but from a customer service perspective, particularly around house moves where there are mountains of things to think of and sort, that one question and some general explanation ahead of the game would have better managed expectations. Importantly, I'd have been informed not moaning on a forum.

Re: microfilter - yes, that is obviously what happened but with having a vDSL faceplate installed previously meant it wasn't required for some time and so was put somewhere I didn't think I'd need it.

stigmata
Hooked

Adam, you were a gent! Thank you for talking me through everything, clarifying and explaining bits and pieces and setting me right - that really did make a difference and you're a star.

As always, good comms is half the battle and that was superb. Cheers muchly!