cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 month wait for phone line, potential issues with fibre

FIXED
Lewis7

8 month wait for phone line, potential issues with fibre

So I waited 8 months to get a phone line put in for a New Build block of flats. I got told it was so OpenReach could put new infrastructure/lines in. 

Finally got my FTTC appointment for 31st May (although they said they should be coming tomorrow). One of the people who had internet set up 8 months ago has said that since others have been getting their internet over the last couple weeks his speeds are down to 5mbps (previously 80) and when someone is setup his service gets disconnected. 

A couple people suspect OpenReach split the wire so 1 wire for multiple people. Anyone got advice? I don't really want to wait another 8 months. 

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: 8 month wait for phone line, potential issues with fibre

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Order

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@Lewis7 

I would assume that the person with the slow speed has a fault, possibly a poor connection on one of the telephone wires in a junction box. 

Moderator and Customer

Lewis7

I was hoping that was the case, however when a technician came out last time he was disconnected 3 weeks ago they said they needed new wires. Also he’s not the only one with slow internet. I’ve not seen anyone at the box doing work on it and I work from home.
Baldrick1

@Lewis7 wrote:
.... when a technician came out last time he was disconnected 3 weeks ago they said they needed new wires.

Maybe the new wires were needed outside of the property, that's now been done and that's why you have had to wait for so long.

Presumably Plusnet have given you a speed estimate and a minimum speed guarantee?

Moderator and Customer

Lewis7

Thanks for the comment, the OpenReach engineer came today and basically said the guy who's having issues is on the new SoGEA wire so can physically be shared but shouldn't drop that low. I'm on the old one which means I should have my dedicated wires.

He said all the technology looks fine to him, just waiting on authentication from ISP so hopefully that kicks in today and I'll see whether mine has an issue or not.

You're right I have minimum speed promise of 62ish so can raise a problem if not hitting those. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

Evening @Lewis7 

I'm really sorry to hear about how long this has taken to sort but from what I can see you're finally online now.

If there's anything else we can help with let us know 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Lewis7 wrote:

... OpenReach engineer came today and basically said the guy who's having issues is on the new SoGEA wire so can physically be shared but shouldn't drop that low. I'm on the old one which means I should have my dedicated wires.

Any one knows what this means?  I can find no reference to sharing circuits on a SOGEA "wire".  Is this just more field engineer smoke and mirrors myth?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Townman  It's a complete load of nonsense, a SOGEA wire is just a normal copper pair, there's no way it can be shared.🤔

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

That’s exactly what I thought … but knowing so for sure is a bit different!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.