cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 engineer visits later...

Sara68
Dabbler

3 engineer visits later...

I am into the third week of waiting for my business broadband to be activated. After 3 engineers “visits”, we appear to be no further down the line.
38 REPLIES 38
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: 3 engineer visits later...

Welcome to our community forums @Sara68 

I'm sorry for the delay with your order. From what I can see the engineers who have been out reported back advising that the pole is on the edge of a fast flowing river so it's a health and safety risk to climb the pole. 

Notes advise that they'd need an engineer who's trained to work close to water and got the proper kit. As this is happening on more than one occasion, I've raised an escalation with Openreach so we can try to ensure that the next engineer who goes out is able to safely climb the pole with a view to install the line and activate the services. 

I'll provide an update as soon as I know more, this should be either tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sara68
Dabbler

Thanks. I hope this doesn’t go on for much longer, as we really do need the broadband ASAP. Each engineer has reported the hazard, yet it doesn’t seem to filter down to the next one. Frankly it’s farcical by openreach. If it’s not done soon, I’m going to have to think about cancelling the order.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Sara68 I'm taking this on personally moving forward and I'll make sure we get this sorted as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sara68
Dabbler

I’ve had another email stating that there has been another delay to my order. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? We were expecting another engineer before the bank holiday, one who we were told would be trained to access the pole and connect our service. I’ve lost count of how many engineers have been out now and said they can’t do it. This is getting farcical now. If I don’t get a satisfactory answer soon, I will be cancelling the order.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Sara68,

I'm sorry to hear this is the case. I'm afraid that we've not received a further update from our suppliers regarding this as of yet, however as @Gandalf is away from the office at the moment, I'll take a look into this with a colleague from the provisioning team on Monday and get back in touch once an update becomes available.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

It matters not which ISP you chose it will be the same farcical BTOR who installs the line, so there is no mileage to be had by cancellation and trying a different ISP. Some of their H&S practices are bonkers. I’ve had similar issues - repeated engineers turning up with the wrong colour of ladders (dual service poles), followed by lone engineer with a cherry picker, only to realise that two cherry picker trained engineers were required, one to do the work and one to watch in case the one in the bin became incapacitated.

I would expect that this scenario will also require two engineers, one to do the work and one trained to watch.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sara68
Dabbler

No, I guess not, but my frustration levels are through the roof at the moment,
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I can sympathise. I went 3 months trying to get a line installed whilst BTOR prattled around with H&S excuse after excuse. In the end I wrote to the CEO of BT and BTOR which gave Plusnet access to escalation (DSO) not otherwise available.

It does beg the question of how high this is escalated within BTOR - usually BTOR inhibit ISPs from escalation, particularly to DSO ... but emails to CEOs do open doors.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @Sara68

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that we're still waiting on your connection going live. Due to some system issues on our suppliers' portal, and the fact that I've not been able to contact them today due to the bank holiday, I've updated the Ticket on your account with an internal note, and Anoush should be back in to review this soon.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Sara68
Dabbler

I hope so. I really needed to get this sorted before I go away on holiday next Monday.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @Sara68 

Notes from our suppliers on the order indicate that an engineer's carried out the work at the pole on the 28th, but the order's not yet completed in the systems which is preventing your broadband service from activating. 

I've emailed the escalation team to chase this up and I'll provide an update as soon as I know more. This should be within the next 24 hours, today or tomorrow at the latest.

In the meantime can you plug a phone handset into the master telephone socket and confirm the line's actually working?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sara68
Dabbler

No, there’s no dial tone when a known working phone is plugged in.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for checking @Sara68

I've passed this onto Openreach and I'll get back to you once they've emailed me back

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sara68
Dabbler

I don’t suppose there’s any news on what the problem is?