cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

28 days without internet - Question #145605147

Gazflo
Dabbler

28 days without internet - Question #145605147

Today is my 28th day without any internet access. I have not had any connectivity since PN took over my line on 8th March. Various attempts to install fibre and ADSL have constantly stalled. Not once have PN been sympathetic to the situation. They have continually blamed my previous supplier (Sky) and their supplier (Openreach). 

"Broadband that loves you back"? I don't think so.

During this time, I have incurred considerable frustration and rising costs for 3/4G internet. I assume I am eligible for compensation? I am aware that Ofcom have published proposals for "automatic compensation" of £6 per day, but this rule is not yet in force. 

17 REPLIES 17
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: 28 days without internet - Question #145605147

Hi @Gazflo, I'm sorry to hear you've been without broadband for so long.

@Gazflo wrote:

I have not had any connectivity since PN took over my line on 8th March.

I believe we discussed this matter via Twitter, however we did not take your line over on the 8th of March.

Looking at your account, there were problems with the order we initially placed and this was cancelled by our suppliers shortly after it was placed. Following this, it appears your previous provider ceased the services on the line.

Unfortunately your previous provider ceasing the line prevented us from replacing orders to take over the service and caused the loss of your service.

I see we placed an order to restart the phone line as soon as possible, the same day your previous provider ceased the line.

Following this, further problems were caused by the fact that your line showed as being connected to a certain cabinet on one of our suppliers systems but a different cabinet on another system. This meant we weren't able to place a fibre order and I see we later proceeded with an ADSL order.

@Gazflo wrote:

Not once have PN been sympathetic to the situation.

I am sorry to hear you feel that way, however looking through the ticket on your account, we have been apologising for the problems you've experienced and we have been doing all we can to rectify this as soon as possible.

@Gazflo wrote:

They have continually blamed my previous supplier (Sky) and their supplier (Openreach).

While I appreciate why you're saying this, we have simply been advising the cause of the problems we've been running in to.

The reason for the services stopping working initially appears to be because your previous provided ceased the line. As I've mentioned above, our order failed shortly after it was placed, and your previous provider later ceased your services, which meant we had to restart them. As there was no order from us to take over the service, I'm not sure why they would have ceased the service.

This isn't to excuse us from any fault, communication regarding the order failing should have been passed on to you sooner along with notifying you that the cease from your previous provider was stopping us from re-placing migration orders.

When it came to placing a fibre order, this was due to a records mismatch on our suppliers systems. Unfortunately these are not in our direct control, but we did contact our suppliers to try and rectify this but received the response advising fibre was not available.

@Gazflo wrote:

During this time, I have incurred considerable frustration and rising costs for 3/4G internet.

While I'm sorry to say we would not compensate for third party costs, I see we have already provided a goodwill gesture/compensation for problems/delays with your orders.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Gazflo
Dabbler

@HarryB Thanks for the reply.

No, you did not take over my line on 8th March, but you were supposed to. You cancelled my order and did not tell me (nor Sky, I assume) and my line was ceased. 

Once again, you blame Sky for ceasing the line, but ultimately PN did not fulfil the order that I placed on 20th Feb. You failed to monitor the situation and failed to react when OR cancelled the order. I only found out the order was cancelled during a chat with a member of your team asking where my router was. It was after this conversation that the restart order was placed.

Four weeks later, and once again I'm told there is another delay with my order, and again OR is being blamed. You've been working on this order for four weeks. And you still haven't got it right. It's beyond belief.

The 'goodwill gesture' you offered is purely a credit for the fibre installation cost (which was cancelled) and the first month's internet (which I haven't received). It is a long way short of Ofcom's proposed £6 per day and doesn't come close to covering the costs I have incurred.

Hopefully Ofcom's ruling will allow for retrospective action to be taken.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Gazflo What instructions did you give your previous supplier?

Did you also have TV with them?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Gazflo wrote:

You cancelled my order and did not tell me (nor Sky, I assume) and my line was ceased.

ISP's have no direct contact with each other. Notification we're taking over (Or that our take over has been cancelled) is sent through the systems by the wholesale provider.

@Gazflo wrote:

Once again, you blame Sky for ceasing the line, but ultimately PN did not fulfil the order that I placed on 20th Feb. You failed to monitor the situation and failed to react when OR cancelled the order.

As OR cancelled the order, they would have notified the losing provider the transfer had been cancelled.

While I would prefer not to 'blame' someone else, ultimately I am not about to advise everything was caused by us if it wasn't. I am simply advising what I can see happened on the orders.

As per my previous response, communication regarding the order being cancelled by our suppliers was poor. However the cease on your line was out of our control as there was no order in place from us.

@HarryB wrote:
This isn't to excuse us from any fault, communication regarding the order failing should have been passed on to you sooner along with notifying you that the cease from your previous provider was stopping us from re-placing migration orders.

@Gazflo wrote:

Four weeks later, and once again I'm told there is another delay with my order, and again OR is being blamed.

We placed your order and advised the committed completion date of today, as per the update we received from our suppliers. Today we received the following notification from BT Wholesale on your order:

Delay Received  - KCI-3 (Order Completed) Delayed in Processing.. Review On 06-Apr-2017 Completion Planned Date : 03/04/2017

I do sincerely apologise for the delays. However providing updates on your order(s) is not blaming anyone. We've simply been passing on the information we have been provided/answering the questions we've been asked.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Gazflo
Dabbler

@Mustrum I didn't say anything to Sky as the instructions advise against it:

All you need to do is choose a package and sign up. We'll contact your current provider to arrange the transfer for you. If you currently have broadband - you'll need an active service to switch to Plusnet. If you cancel your broadband account with your current provider your move will be delayed. https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs

I still have my TV with Sky.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

That's good, we often see people cancel with Sky, and then wonder why their order is delayed.

There does seem to be a process issue with people transferring from LLU suppliers, in that records do not match with Openreach/BTW.

Gazflo
Dabbler

There are certainly problems within the Openreach/BTW database. When searching www.dslchecker.bt.com with my phone number, I'm connected to cabinet 18 (no fibre). But my address shows cabinet 7 (fibre) and some of my neighbours have fibre.

What's annoying is that I raised this with PN four weeks ago when my original fibre order was cancelled. But here we are 28 days later and we're no further forward. If these issues had been properly addressed with Openreach/BTW when they were first raised, I would be connected by now.

Gazflo
Dabbler

@HarryB When checking www.dslchecker.bt.com with my phone number, I now see that the following line has been removed:

There is an open order on your line which is due to complete by 03-Apr-2017

Does this mean the order is complete? Or it's been cancelled. Again.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Looks like it completed around half an hour ago. Your account has now activated and you should now be able to get online.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Gazflo
Dabbler

I've received an email to say my fibre (!?) broadband is now available, but I can't get online. Every page I try and view redirects to the router settings page.

It says I'm connected to the internet, but it's using the broadband username of setup@plusdsl.net, which I suspect is causing the issue.
tcj1971
Rising Star

You have probably sorted it now, but if not try

First, your broadband username is in your Member Centre > Connection Settings > Connection Details eg. gazflo@plusdsl.net

Failing that, try to change your password even though you know your password

So if your password is ABCDE12345, then in the Member Centre customer login, click Forgotten Your Password, even though you know the Password and follow the instructions and type in the new password as same Password you know

It worked for me

Gazflo
Dabbler

Thanks @tcj1971 I've done that. I'll have to wait until I get home to see if it's made any difference.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Just passing by. I've had a look into your account @Gazflo and I can see your router wasn't automatically configured to your account before it was dispatched.

I'd advise to login to the router settings at http://192.168.1.254 and then complete a router setup using the broadband username in the format of username@plusdsl.net and your account password.

Let us know how you get on.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear you're experiencing some problems getting online.

It looks like the authentication details in the router are still incorrect. I've also noticed that the serial number for your router appears to be missing from your account, so the auto-config is not pushing your auth details down to your router. Please could you drop me a PM with the serial number from your router so I can fix this on your account. (Once I've done this, a factory reset should push the auth details down to your router and get you online)

After everything that has already gone much less smoothly than we'd generally expect, I do sincerely apologise for any additional inconvenience this system error with the router component/auto-config has caused.

In the meantime, you should still be able to get online however it will require some manual set up of your router by going through the following steps:

1. Load a web page and go to 192.168.1.254
  2. Navigate to Settings > Broadband
  3. If the Hub One is already showing connected to the internet, click Disconnect
  4. Enter the username (username@plusdsl.net) and password that was chosen on signup.
  5. Click Connect

I hope this helps.

Gazflo wrote:
I've received an email to say my fibre (!?) broadband is now available

Apologies for any confusion this has caused. The system notification will have advised fibre as this is what the account was initially signed up on and we're unable to change the package until the broadband component becomes active.

The account should be updated to an ADSL package and have the appropriate discounts applied shortly for you.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet