cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 Weeks no Internet, promised 1-3 weeks, No installation in sight

doccampbell

10 Weeks no Internet, promised 1-3 weeks, No installation in sight

I have been a Plusnet customer for 3 years. On 3rd October 2017 I asked them to disconnect the service on 16th October due to moving to a new home. The Plusnet guy asked if they could quote me for Internet & Phone service at my new home. I agreed and he gave me a quote with a 1 to 3 week installation time. I explained that as a wheelchair user with complex health issues I relied on the internet to connect me with my medical practitioners. I was then told to consider 3 weeks as the best date for completion of installation.

Since my move there has been 19 Updates - that all say nothing other than giving another future Update date. I have so far called Plusnet 14 times and spent a total of 518 minutes (8.6 hours) - every call achieving nothing other than another Update date.

Plusnet made promises that Openreach cannot deliver. I tried to contact Openreach to find out what the problem is but they will not speak to me as Plusnet is their customer and not me. I asked BT to quote and install their internet but they cannot because I am identified as a Plusnet customer.

Today was an update day. The most spectacular update of them all "They have advised us to check back on the 07/02/2018 for the next update." Incredible and certainly unbelievable. This 7th February 2018 is not an installation date but an "Update" date!  By this time I will have been waiting 18 weeks - is this a record?

Tried each time I telephoned to speak with a manager. This is always blocked by "You need to tell me first, I will be able to help". They don't and no manager ever returns my call in "72 hours".

There are 4 Departments that I have spoken to at Plusnet: Option Team, Home Move, Provisioning and Billing. Each time you call you wait about 30/40 minutes to get through and then you have to go through 'Security'. Then after 15/20 minutes they transfer you to another department - another 20/30 minutes waiting and then 'Security' again - you get the picture. Plusnet Customer Service system is incapable of passing on a security checked customer to another department.

So, no internet, no idea when it will be installed, £120 in phone data and dongle fees so far, continue to pay Plusnet for no service, cannot change supplier.

I would be very interested in any ideas anyone has in stopping this nightmare and getting internet installed.

1 REPLY 1
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: 10 Weeks no Internet, promised 1-3 weeks, No installation in sight

Welcome to the community forums @doccampbell.

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise for the experience you've had while trying to move the services to a new address.

@doccampbell wrote:

he gave me a quote with a 1 to 3 week installation time.

This certainly shouldn't have happened.
Looking at the order, it stated there was no line plant to the address. This would mean we'd have to raise the order with our suppliers, wait for them to perform a survey on the address, receive an update advising if/what additional work is required to provide the line plant for us to provide a service on, wait for the work to be carried out. The extent of the required work would largely dictate the time this takes before we could even confirm an appointment.

I'm extremely disappointed to hear that you've been advised a 1-3 week lead time on something that simply cannot be confirmed before waiting for an update from our suppliers. I've passed feedback on regarding this advisor.

@doccampbell wrote:

Since my move there has been 19 Updates - that all say nothing other than giving another future Update date. I have so far called Plusnet 14 times and spent a total of 518 minutes (8.6 hours) - every call achieving nothing other than another Update date.

I'm afraid as the order requires extensive pole work, dig work, ducting work, cabling work, jointing work I'm afraid at this stage all we can do is provide the updates that we're provided.
We have raised escalations on the order to try and speed up the work, however we're ultimately awaiting updates from our suppliers, who are awaiting updates from their contractors and we are doing all we can to push them for updates/movement on the work as soon as possible.

@doccampbell wrote:
I asked BT to quote and install their internet but they cannot because I am identified as a Plusnet customer.

As we're not taking over a line at the address (Because none exist to take over) we're not stopping BT Retail in any way from placing an order to provide their service at your address.
Having said this, as there is no line plant to the address, their order would require the same work that ours requires and would likely just be tagged on to the back of the external work taking place on our order.

@doccampbell wrote:
Today was an update day. The most spectacular update of them all "They have advised us to check back on the 07/02/2018 for the next update." Incredible and certainly unbelievable. This 7th February 2018 is not an installation date but an "Update" date!

Unfortunately that is correct. The update we received from our suppliers yesterday did advise that the update they received from their contractors was for ducting work to be taking place in January with an expected completion of early February.

@doccampbell wrote:
Tried each time I telephoned to speak with a manager. This is always blocked by "You need to tell me first, I will be able to help". They don't and no manager ever returns my call in "72 hours".

While I'm sorry to say a manager would not be able to advise anything further than the updates we've been providing, as the required work is ultimately out of our control, you certainly shouldn't be flat out denied a callback and it should never take 72 hours.
My manager is happy to give you a call to discuss this, however I do want to set the expectation that he would not be able to make Openreach and their contractors carry out the work to provide the network to provide your service on.

@doccampbell wrote:
Each time you call you wait about 30/40 minutes to get through

Although I can only apologise for any inconvenience by any wait times you've experienced, I'd be happy to move the ticket on your account over to my team so we provide updates as and when they're available to us. However again, this unfortunately would not guarantee anything happens sooner in regards to providing the service, it would simply be to try and prevent you from having to call to chase for updates.

@doccampbell wrote:
continue to pay Plusnet for no service, cannot change supplier.

As far as I can see on the account, we haven't taken any payments for the service since October. In regards to changing supplier, there would be nothing stopping you from signing up with another provider, however any provider that uses the Openreach network would encounter the same delays as the same work would be required by the same wholesale suppliers and their contractors.

Again I do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience the delays on your order are causing and I can assure you we are doing absolutely everything we can to get the service installed as soon as possible. I do just wish it was more within our control to speed this up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet