cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats going on about Cessation charge

albinocory
Grafter

whats going on about Cessation charge

hi all just spoken to BT to give MAC code as informed by PlusNet support staff that if it is not used then I will be charged £30 even though out of contract but BT have no where in there system to add MAC code as they OWN PlusNet and NOT required. We have already paid activation fee to BT so why same charge from PlusNet for Cessation for BTOR when migrating????
20 REPLIES 20
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: whats going on about Cessation charge

If you paid an activation fee then you have ordered a new line not migrating your existing one and in those circumstances cancelling the Plusnet line will land you with the cancellation charge
I don't know who at BT told you that they don't need a MAC to move from Plusnet but that is completely wrong  if you are going to migrate
However if you are moving from Plusnet ADSL to BT fibre then again BT must use a MAC otherwise there may well be an ADSL cease
albinocory
Grafter

@oldjim we are out of contracting and switching to BT. Have just come off the phone and even the member of staff checked with other staff at BT and they have NO WHERE to put in a PlusNet MAC Code as they own plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

BT Retail do not own Plusnet
Plusnet is a subsidiary company of BT Group plc as are BT Retail
I suggest waiting for staff to comment tomorrow
However I would also comment that when signing up for BT Infinity (I assume that is what you are going for) there is no requirement whatsover to advise them who you are migrating from.
The system is that you place the order with them and provide the MAC. They then place the necessary orders with BT Openreach who will advise Plusnet or the ISP you are migrating from. There is no requirement for them to know where you are moving from
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Oldjim
If you paid an activation fee then you have ordered a new line ...

Not necessary, as BT charge an activation fee for Fibre installs
Quote from: http
In order to activate your BT Infinity service, an engineer will need to visit your street cabinet and in some cases carry out work at your home - all for a small, one-off activation charge of £30

Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Razorback
Grafter

When I switched to BT from Plusnet, BT required a MAC code. When I switched back to plusnet they required a MAC code from BT. Both changes were done in the last 18 months.
albinocory
Grafter

In the last couple of weeks spoken to BT twice once before placing order and tonight both occasions told don't need MAC code. The staff member tonight even checked with a colleague and confirmed they don't need it as they have nowhere to put the MAC code in their system even through switching/migrating fibre and phone line. Who do we believe? as this is getting more and more confusing and if so may as well not have a phone or broadband or switch t an LLU like Sky and not pay cessation charge as per another thread re cessation charge. BTOR will be getting paid twice and not even come to the house or cabinet as they just need to change from plusnet to BT which is computer related not engineer.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

So you are moving from fibre to fibre - in which case there shouldn't be an activation charge as the engineer isn't required unless BT are ripping you off as the Openreach charge reduced from £30 to £9 in July last year
From posts elsewhere I would guess that the BT sales team haven't a clue in relation to FTTC migrations
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There have been mentions before about BT trialling a migration system that doesn't involve issuing a MAC. This breaks PN's billing system as it hasn't been coded for this eventuality.  I believe the plan is to move to 'Notice of Transfer' rather than MAC based switching, pretty much as happens with phone lines.  MACs become a thing of the past in June this year-
[quote=http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/internet/broadband-switching/switching-broadband-provider/]Making broadband switching simpler
From June 2015, for switches of landline and/or broadband services provided over Openreach’s network, new regulations come into effect which will remove the need to contact your losing provider in order to switch your broadband services. You will be able to follow the ‘gaining provider led’ process and so your new provider will be able to coordinate the switch for you. You may still contact your losing provider should you choose to.
I'd wait for a PN staff member to comment as they may be able to see what kind of migration order is in place.
albinocory
Grafter

to be honest I may as well just stop all phone and broadband as out of contract and do with out it for a bit then get it later
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Then you definitely will be hit with a cease charge!
Wait for PN... Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I believe the plan is to move to 'Notice of Transfer' rather than MAC based switching, pretty much as happens with phone lines.  MACs become a thing of the past in June this year-
Yes, in light of the confusion over cessation charges that we've seen on here recently, I've been looking around for a definitive answer to when this comes into force. It seems clear that this comes into force from June 2015 for broadband transfer but it seems that it MAY already apply when transferring both Phone AND broadband.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

albinocory
Grafter

just spoken to BT again we don't need a mac code as they have given an advice of transfer (migration) to plusnet so can anyone from PlusNet give us some honest advice re this.
MisterW: it looks BT use the advice/notice of transfer instead of MAC's in some instances from all companies.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You are definitely being given duff information by BT Retail. Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
albinocory
Grafter

well if that's the case we spoke to 4 different depts. from sale to consumer options team so if bt are giving duff info why is no one from plusnet responding. if that is the case and cant use mac code will go to a llu network as bt networks are a joke. who should we believe as plusnet say 1 thing and bt say opposite?Huh