Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to keep email address

kenny
Grafter

want to keep email address

Hi,
I’m moving to Spain for about 12 months (maybe more) I’m putting my property up for LET. I was going to close my Home phone and broadband account with Plus net. They don’t do a roaming wi-fi (dongle service) it’s only fixed lines other wise I might have gone for this service. I wanted to keep my email account still active is this possible for a fee (so I could get email from the web via browser in Spain). If/when I do move back to UK I would like to just pick up where I left off (get fixed broadband and home phone).
I know the easy option is just to say get a Hotmail email account (or similar) and work from this when in Spain. It’s just that I’ve had this same email address for years so wanted to keep it.

6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: want to keep email address

It sounds like you want your account converted to a free dial-up account retaining your mailbox.
I believe such an account can be reverted to a full paid for account at a later date.
One of the Digital Care team will advise further...probably tomorrow.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
kenny
Grafter

can i still get access to my email from any pc  via a web browser (in spain)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

IMAP/POP3/webmail access is available from any internet connection. To send email you either use webmail or your local ISP SMTP mail server. Dial up accounts don't support using the PlusNet SMTP servers from a non plusnet IP address (authenticated SMTP is not available).
Be aware that Plusnet don't always make the switch to a free dialup account even after you have requested it. So make sure you have a copy of all your emails before the account is changed (that is you have downloaded all your emails to a local PC via POP3).
avatastic
Grafter

As I understand it the process is something like:
1) Phone the retentions team (open 0900-1730h) to cancel your account. Request that is converted to a free PAYG dialup account.
2) This should result in a ticket being raised on your account. Find the ticket number and post back here for the attention of the DigiCare team to make sure the account is changed to a free PAYG account.
3) With every update to the cancellation ticket, post here so that the DigiCare team can make sure it is transferred to a free PAYG account.
4) Keep an eye on your bank account to make sure payments aren't still being taken after your account is transferred.
You should still be able to access your e-mail using the webmail interface or any of the methods mentioned above.
It sounds grim, but it is the reality we've seen on these forums time and time again that accounts aren't closed down to free PAYG correctly.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi kenny,
Avatastic's pretty much nailed it there, if you post back here once you've raised the ticket we'll keep an eye on it for you. Whilst it doesn't happen that often, I'd recommend downloading your email just in case the account does get closed. It shouldn't do, but better safe than sorry.
kenny
Grafter

Thanks for the info its not going to be fore about 2 months, but just wanted to know my options, its good as I don`t want  loose my email address
Thanks for you help to all who have replied to this thread
Thanks Smiley