cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage when not using!?

pinkemma

usage when not using!?

Ive just come home from a long weekend away, and when I checked my usage it says I have used X amount for each of the 4 days I was away! Noone else could have accessed my broadband and it is security enabled. Im pretty bewildered and worried as to why usage is being recorded when Im not using it at all and eating into my monthly allowance. Any ideas? Does the router use up Gigs just being switched on or something??
Sad
14 REPLIES 14
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: usage when not using!?

a few M definitely not G,  you get various thing as background all the time.
Have you got at least WPA security on your router?
pinkemma

Yes sorry, its Mbs rather than Gbs, but I dont get why it should be using anything when I wasnt here and not logged online. Umm.. I dont know what WPA security is... sorry, Im a new user  Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you have the PlusNet supplied router it comes with WPA wireless security enabled and you have to put in a password before your computer will conned.
The old type of security WEP, is old hat now and can be easily cracked within seconds
Hope not to scientific this explains more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access
or this http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/wpa-vs-wep
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Your usage for Friday, Saturday, Sunday is in the K's, which is normal for a router being switched on with no activity.
pinkemma

Ahh ok, thanks for your help. I didnt realise I'd be using any just for having the router switched on. I will unplug it in future. x
matt_2k34
Grafter

leaving it is is preferred, your router will only use a negligible amount per month.
unplugging your router too often may decrease your broadbannd speed. Smiley
pinkemma

I had a feeling there would be some disadvantage to it!! Thanks for the advice. I will only unplug when away for more than a few days xx
hynot

I have the same problem.  I have been away for 9 days and returned on 4th July.  My usage for 1st, 2nd and 3rd July shows approx 50Mb.  How can this be if my laptop was left at home switched off?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@hynot
Your router has WPA security enabled by default which means it's very difficult for anyone to use your wireless connection without your knowledge. However, your account shows usage across the dates you mention:
July 1st
~30mB between 10am - noon
July 2nd
~10mB between 8am - 9am
At all other times the router was on, but transferring negligible amounts of data.
It's possible that this data transfer is being caused by random port scans / DOS attacks that are a normal part of accessing the internet and aren't anything to worry about at this level. I very much doubt that anyone is accessing the internet through your router, unless you have given anyone your WPA key to anyone.
Please keep an eye on your usage and let us know if you see any other suspicious amounts recorded.
hynot

Thanks for that explanation Ben.  I will keep my eye on it and let you know.
hynot

Ben,

You asked for me to keep you posted if my account showed any suspicious activity. Well I have just returned after a week away (2nd Oct to 9th Oct) and my account is showing usage of 493.66Mb for 7th Oct !
My PC was left at home switched off in an empty house so how can it show that much usage for one day?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you do any form on Online hosting for Gaming and or P2P,  pc's/game consoles will have a log of your IP address as a recent connection and try to ping/connect too it adding traffic.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is a lot assuming you meant 493 megabytes or just under half a GB
That is far too much to be from pings etc but either someone has piggybacked onto your connection or is using your login on another Plusnet line
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi hynot,
I have you replied to you via your account.
Jojo Smiley