cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer domain and hosting away from Plusnet/Just-the-Name

j123
Grafter

transfer domain and hosting away from Plusnet/Just-the-Name

I want to transfer the domain and hosting for a .uk domain I own away from Plusnet to different providers (34SP as domain registrar; Vidahost for hosting) and want to do it with a minimum of downtime, especially for email.

At the moment this .uk domain name is administered by Just-the-Name (owned by Plusnet) which handles billing, but the settings for the domain (A-records, cname, email) is set in my Plusnet control panel under “Domains”.

The nameservers currently point to legacy Plusnet ccgi webspace, but I don’t have access to these settings in the control panel as this is handled internally by Plusnet.

Would it be best to
1. Get Plusnet staff to point the nameservers to the new host (Vidahost)
2. Once this is done, start the transfer of the domain to 34SP.

Currently, all email for the domain is sent to my main Plusnet account by POP3. What is the best way to transfer this to Vidahost with minimum disruption?

5 REPLIES 5
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: transfer domain and hosting away from Plusnet/Just-the-Name

Hi @j123,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding this query.

I have looked into this for you and to carry out the transfer you require to Vidahost you will need to contact Just-the-Name as we can not do this for you.

j123
Grafter

But hosting for the domain was transferred in to Plusnet in November 2010. Just-the-Name handle the billing only.

This confusing set-up is one of the reasons I want to move everything away from Plusnet.

My original question asked if the best option for a smooth transfer would be to change the nameservers to point to Vidahost before starting a full transfer of the domain away from Plusnet/Just-the-Name.

Those nameservers are not set in the Just-the-Name control panel and I do not have access to the nameservers in the Plusnet Domain control panel. I presume only Plusnet staff can change the nameservers.

A whois of the domain is as follows:
==========
Registrar:
Plusnet Plc t/a Just-the-Name [Tag = GETSURFED]
URL: http://www.just-the-name.co.uk

Name servers:
ns1.force9.net
ns2.force9.net
==========

Also, Just-the-Name is just a trading name for Plusnet, and the website looks as though it is neglected (if not abandoned, with dead links to Pay As You Host), so I’m asking here. The transfer in of the domain to Plusnet and the set up to get the domain to point to legacy ccgi Plusnet webspace was handled by a Plusnet ticket.

[Please note: at the moment I am only looking for information. Please do not change any settings.]

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Plusnet Plc t/a Just-the-Name [Tag = GETSURFED]

If the domain was registered to Plusnet the tag would be FORCE9.

I appreciate we own Just The Name, but support to JTN is not through us (or the Plusnet call centre) it's handled by a small team that answers calls and support queries for JTN.

We (Plusnet) cannot change nameservers of domains, this has been something our domain system has lacked since I started here.

As Ben advised you really do need to contact JTN support.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
j123
Grafter

Ok, thanks. I've sent an enquiry to JTN support.

But any suggestions about the smoothest way to transfer the domain and website are welcome. Email downtime is the one I really want to avoid.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Multiple duplicate posts removed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still