cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suspected fraud...Another service provider has told us that you're moving your phone service to them

ecomputersuk
Hooked

suspected fraud...Another service provider has told us that you're moving your phone service to them

Hi...I received an email stateing "Another service provider has told us that you're moving your phone service to them".

I am really concerned that someone is trying to steal my business number and have my suspicions.

it states: Another service provider has told us that you want to move your broadband service to them. We're sorry to hear you're leaving us.
Your broadband service is scheduled to transfer automatically on 13th February 2015 and will result in the cancellation of your Plusnet account.
 I have not ordered broadband with anyone else and have no intensions on leaving, i recently signed up for a new contracthere.......
Can someone tell me whats going on please and i want to know who the other provider is thats said this so i can look at taking action against them for fraud

10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: suspected fraud...Another service provider has told us that you're moving your phone service to

It could be that another ISP has put in the wrong number when attempting to take over a line belonging to someone else - that happens.

Have you contacted Plusnet officially to notify them that the request should be rejected?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: suspected fraud...Another service provider has told us that you're moving your phone service to

@ecomputersuk - The date on the email you quote is 2 years old! Can you examine the headers of the email to see if it really came from Plusnet. There may also be links in the email that you should verify before clicking on them, but going by your username here you should know that already.

ecomputersuk
Hooked

yes I have contacted plusnet officially to get the matter dealt with. The line has now been retained.. I have also contacted ofcom (who are looking into it) regarding the possible fraud and made a complaint...I have not however received any details of the attempted transfer. I need to know which company and person is trying to take over my line.

I mean how is it possible that someone can request this without my consent. Thanks for looking into it btw, i have my phone and broadband with plusnet and never have any intensions on leaving.i mean what if i was on holiday or something and didn't get to check my e-mails,,, plusnet would have billed me £641.70 for leaving.  I am really disturbed by this and will be taking further action.

ecomputersuk
Hooked

I researched another link to start this question. This is a new request that has only happened in the last month. Nothing about is is 2 years old.. my account has only been open with plusnet for a few months.

ecomputersuk
Hooked

I need the requesting ISP details and the details of the reqesting customer...I'm really not happy 

Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it is worth neither myself or @jelv actually looked into anything we simply read your post, but it's good to hear that it appears to be sorted. I agree with you, if this were to happen while on holiday it could prove very expensive. Maybe you can leave a note on your account that your line / service is not to be moved until you call in to tell them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ecomputersuk wrote:

Your broadband service is scheduled to transfer automatically on 13th February 2015 and will result in the cancellation of your Plusnet account.

@ecomputersuk - This is the two years old I was referring to, and I wouldn't hold any hope in getting the details of whoever tried to slam your line. 

ecomputersuk
Hooked

Ofcom have told me they can definitely find the isp and if the isp does not provide the information then I should have cause to raise a complaint/case against them. From a legal standpoint it is their duty to avoid and respond to cases in which possible fraudulent action has been taken.

scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Sent you a PM @ecomputersuk

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

This is how migration works nowadays; you tell the ISP you want to migrate to and they do the rest, but your existing ISP will let you know that a migration request has been received in order to prevent slamming.  You then have about 10 days to stop the process if it is a mistake or an attempt at slamming.  This is why it takes at least two weeks to migrate.  This timescale is set by the regulator.  As you say, if you were on holiday and not checking your emails or texts you might miss the deadline.  On the other hand a longer migration time would no doubt result in complaints about it taking too long.