cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(reluctantly) moving from PlusNet - probably.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

(reluctantly) moving from PlusNet - probably.

I am currently waiting for my MAC key from PlusNet.
I have had many years of good service, the only real problams I have had relate to the difficulty in escalating a suspected REIN fault to the correct level which I accept is an Openreach problem rather than PlusNet.
My reason for moving is new availability of FTTC which will allow me to ditch my SKY subscription by using BT Vision (adequate for my viewing needs and much cheaper than SKY) thus making my overall costs LESS with unlimited FTTC + BT Vision compared to my existing ADSL2+ with 60Gb allowance and SKY.
My question relates to keping my existing PlusNet email (and user forum name).  I'm sure it used to be possible to transfer to a dial-up 'pay as you go' product and keep existing PlusNet user credentials, is this still the case?  I can find such a product but only in the 'Business' section.  How can I ensure that my account is transfered to D/U PAYG (if available) rather than have my account completely closed?  Does this also ensure that my referrals remain valid and payable (I would still happily recomend PlusNet even if I migrate, they just happen not to offer the exact package that I currently want)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
4 REPLIES 4
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: (reluctantly) moving from PlusNet - probably.

Yes you can. You need to raise a Ticket requesting that on completion of you Broadband Migration, PlusNet downgrade your account to a FREE PayG account AND retain your email Account. You should state that you will leave the DD Mandate open as it will enable PlusNet to credit your account with your Referrals credits which they will do every time the balance exceeds £5. I should say that this is a manual process and prone to errors so ensure that you send/ recieve your mail regularly during the migration process.
Your Forum username and Password will not be affected by the migration out.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks Wheel_nut,
that's pretty much what I assumed, just nreassuring to get it confirmed.  I see from your sig. that you appear to be with BT, what made you move?  How do you find the service compared with
PlusNet?  I guess you went through exactly this process?
Thanks again,
Alastair (walker23)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Yes, I moved to BT to get the FREE access to BT Openzone and BT FON WiFi Hotspots while out and about.
Except for a bit of a delay while BT Retail and Openreach played comedy capers in moving my Line Rental, everything was seamless and BT gave me a £30 credit for the "inconvenience".
For my usage, there is no discernable difference with the Broadband service. The BT Portal is a bit more professional and doesn't have the errors and inconsistencies that this portal suffers. There is also a Live Chat help service on BT which I found very useful in resolving an updating issue with the first HH3 they sent me. The replacement has worked flawlessly for me and the WiFi coverage is better than anything else I have used.
I do pay a £ or two more but I got the 3 months free offer and £120 a year Line Rental and with the £30 Credit and £65 TopCashback, ........ I am probably paying less but my eyes glazed over before I worked it out.  Cool Undecided
matt_2k34
Grafter

The BT Portal is a bit more professional and doesn't have the errors and inconsistencies that this portal suffers

Hmm, inconsistencies in the portal? such as what wheel_nut?Huh
Sadly this is another case where if PN had a "BT Options" add on (e.g. BT Vision, BT FON) then i feel they may not lose as many people from PN to BT.
I dont think BT will think this is a problem though, PN growing and BT growing is still lining the pockets for the company, so shouldnt be a problem for them.
Regards