cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Problem with your phone line"

Cromwell
Dabbler

"Problem with your phone line"

I placed an order on Friday and until now thought everything was going to plan, I checked my order this morning to find the following message:
"There's been a problem progressing your broadband order.
We'll get some more information on the problem and update this ticket with details as soon as we have them.
[internal note]
Order has been cancelled. Please check Install Diary and resubmit order once issue is resolved."
I wasn't contacted about this problem and had to do some digging around to find out what the problem was, my order has been cancelled yet my payment has already been taken, what is going on? Some contact would be nice! Plusnet were happy enough to take my money but not inform me that there was a problem with my order!
22 REPLIES 22
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: "Problem with your phone line"

Hi Cromwell and welcome to the Plusnet Community and to Plusnet!
I've just taken a look at this issue and it looks like the MAC Code you got from your previous supplier is out of date.
You will need to speak to your current supplier and ask them to provide you with a new MAC Code so we can place the order for you.
Cromwell
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Chris, the MAC I got from my current ISP was due to expire on the 8/2/14 - I placed my order on 7/2/14 which I know was cutting it close but I didn't have much choice in the matter. The problem is getting a new MAC from my the current ISP, the account is with a previous tenant so getting another MAC isn't very straightforward, any advice?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, it is a close call with dates. Unfortunately without a MAC Code we're unable to place an order I'm afraid. You should still have an account with your previous provider all the same, so getting a MAC Code might not be as difficult as you think.
Best thing would be to give them a quick call and see if you can get a MAC Code ASAP so we can get an order placed for you.
Cromwell
Dabbler

Bit annoying that it wasn't processed sooner to be honest. The current ISP account isn't in my name so I can't call up to get  a MAC key, I have none of the account details and sketchy contact with the previous tenant.
EDIT
In regards to the chance of the MAC not going through processing as my order was made on a Friday - Plusnet processed my bank details and took the payment straight away, there should be no reason as to why the MAC was not processed at a similar rate, while it was still in date.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You gave us 1 day in which for the MAC Code to be used. As you've mentioned, you created the account on 7/2/14 and your MAC Code was due to expire on 8/2/14 - this doesn't really give us a lot of time to ensure that all orders are placed. We try and get this done as quickly as possible but that's one of the reasons that MAC code's generally have a longer expiry than 1 day.
Cromwell
Dabbler

Obviously I do appreciate that, I know it was a close call, It's a little frustrating because my order was placed on Friday, all other details had been processed instantly, payment was taken and DD details were submitted, all very swiftly, by all definitions my order had been placed. It's possible that I may not get another MAC key for a while - it's completely out of my hands - and at this rate I may end up paying for a service which I won't even have.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If the phone and broadband was in the name of a previous tenant I thought the change of account holder automatically created a broadband cease, in which case it wouldn't be a transfer but a new provide so no MAC needed. That does need the previous tenant to have cancelled the account however.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Once payment is made, we then attempt to place an order, as the account was created on a Friday, it's likely that the order would only progress on a working day as well so I can see how this has failed with such narrow margins.
As it stands at the moment, there's not been a cease on the line that I can see as it's still requiring me to input a MAC Code I'm afraid.
Cromwell
Dabbler

I'm still awaiting a new MAC from the old tenant (took months last time so who knows how long the wait this time will be) but something seems to have progressed with my order. I received a text saying that my new phone line would be installed soon (April!) and after checking online my order status is now awaiting the solution to that problem before payment is taken and my service can begin.
This is getting to be a bit of a joke now as I already have a phone line in place and as far as I'm aware I do not require a new one. The fact that an engineer has been booked in for April makes this all the more ridiculous. Am I expected to be left waiting for 2 months (after original payment was taken I should note) for any progress on my service? At this rate I'll be paying for 2 months of service plus the setup fees for absolutely no service. I thought that in regards to my MAC not being valid anymore my order would be put on hold for now - I'm already not happy about the payment being taken before anything has even been setup!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Cromwell,
I'm sorry for any confusion caused by this.
I've had a look into this for you and can confirm that when you signed up we required a MAC Code, however, since then it seems the line has been ceased which means the old tenants won't be able to get a new MAC Code. This is why you've been informed by my colleague that we're installing a new phone line for you instead as our systems indicate to us that there are no working lines at your property and no stopped lines either. My colleague thought that instead of waiting to hear back from you regarding the MAC Code he went ahead and stopped further delays and placed your order for you.
The date that you've been given for the installation of the new line will be the earliest available in your area so we wouldn't be able to bring this forward I'm afraid.
Please note that during this time you will not be charged by us as your initial payment covers you for your first months service with us but this only begins once service is provided to you.
I can appreciate the situation you're in, however, this isn't something we could've predicted would happen. As the line that was previously there did not belong to us there was very little we could do.
If you are still able to get a dial tone then please let me know because this would indicate that the phone line that you have access to is actually reflecting on our systems under a different address and we would therefore need further investigation to find this line.
Cromwell
Dabbler

Thanks for clearing that up!
It's a bit of a complicated situation and if I'm honest I have no idea how it works in regards to the phone line. Our address is basically an extension of a house but we are a separate private residence with our own phone line - installed when the internet was first connected a few years ago.
I've just checked and we still have a dial tone and have had a working phone line for quite a while. Unfortunately our address rarely shows up on any database and is often under a different name. I suspect you have the details for the main house.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Try dialing 17070 from the line - this is the self-test feature and it will tell you the number of the line. Provisioning can then use this number to ensure the correct line is started.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me Cromwell.
We do still have the number you provided us with when you signed up. Is this still the correct number on the line that you have access to? Can you make and receive calls on this line still?
Cromwell
Dabbler

Thanks for your help - I just checked and it is all working still and should be the same landline number you have.