cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet v tiscali

misanthrope

plusnet v tiscali

my sister is looking for a broadband supplier.
she has a low spec pc so will be using it for surfing the net & emails. i would like to refer her to plusnet, however she has seen an offer by tiscali for a bundle £14.99/mth with 2Mbs & free phone line rental.
she is a public service worker so cost is important. the thing i can't get my head around is they say the line rental is free which you would normally have to pay BT £10/mth.
i would like to suggest plusnet but if she has to pay BT line rental choosing plusnet would be an additional £10/mth.
is this tiscali offer to good to be true?
is there an equivalent plusnet product?
13 REPLIES 13
James
Grafter

Re: plusnet v tiscali

Hi there,
She would be able to use Broadband Your Way, Option 1 (which sounds ideal for her usage), with Home Phone Evenings and Weekends.  This would come to £20.99 a month.  There would be no need to pay line rental on top of this.
I'd note a few things though.
- From the Tiscali website: "Please note: This package is available to 52% of all UK homes. If this product is not available in your area then you will be offered a discounted alternative so you can still enjoy savings on your line rental."  So it may not be possible for your sister to get this service.
- They don't have a Comms Team, let alone the Comms Cat!
- This link shows how we compare to Tiscali.
- We suppply upto 8Mbps as standard.
- There's also some other reasons why7 we feel that we would be able to offer her a better service which you can see from this link.
Any questions, then do please shout Smiley
misanthrope

thx for the reply.
how is it that line rental is not required? i thought BT justified this as a maintenance charge for their copper wires.
i have a premier account & have to pay BT seperately. is it only the broadband/phone packages that benefit from this?
James
Grafter

This is because our Home Phone package includes line rental.  We pay it to BT so you would be paying for it as part of the package, but you don't have to pay for it additionally, if you get what I mean.
misanthrope

thx, i have one last question.
the option 1 is i think 1Gb download/mth. what happens if she requires more than this?
James
Grafter

The download limit only applies to 8am to midnight firstly.  If she requires more, she can either add additional usage at 75p per GB to her subscription, or PAYG @ £1 per GB should she exceed the usage allowance.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

More usage can be added if required at 75pence per GB if done before it's required, or £1/GB at the time.
Alternatively BBYW allows for switching between the products with no upgrade/downgrade charges.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
misanthrope

ok so she could monitor her first month & then adjust the standard package for extra data if she needs to.
or if you go over your allowance, you are automatically billed for the extra amount?
James
Grafter

Not if you select the fixed usage version. You can elect to add usage at will once you reach the allowance.  Speeds would however be restricted to 128Kbps until usage were added however.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If she has a low spec. PC I would definitely go for a router and not a USB modem.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
skeggie

Quote from: James
- We suppply upto 8Mbps as standard.

Although you may need to give BT a poke ...
Living in the sticks my speed runs at about 2Mbps (recorded as 1.4 on thinkBB, but there's a lot of overhead ATM)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/118882324361222721875.html
This is nothing to do with Plusnet - It's BT playing silly bu##ers, and moaning that:

• it's all to do with age of cable

• and distance from exchange

• and we won't guarantee you get any reasonable service anyways - we'll just charge you for it

Is there anything that _can_ be done to slap them? 21CN isn't planned until the tail end of 2011!
Expected speeds can be gauged from  http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
Downstream SNR Margin 15dB, Attenuation 54dB so not a lot of room to _try_ faster speeds. grumble grumble
Skeg
joncooper
Grafter

it's worth noting that tiscali are worse than a very bad thing, and their billing department keeps records that bear no relation to reality
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: joncooper
their billing department keeps records that bear no relation to reality

From what I've read on TB/AG they'll get on well with the accounts dept of their latest purchase - Pipex Internet  Angry
atbs1
Grafter

I used to be a customer of pipex and after some Very Bad service and mail issues moved to +net in 2000. I certainly would not use Tiscali, Sky or pipex.