Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

performance stats to nail a referral

techguy
Grafter

performance stats to nail a referral

Hi
I have a mate who is an avid gamer (far more than I would ever be) and so of course he keeps and eye on his pings etc.
Now he is playing Conan and a bit of Warcraft here and there.
Can anyone give me some good stats to show the performance of the network when using these games?
2 REPLIES 2
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: performance stats to nail a referral

As a personal warcraft addictplayer, I can report that my average ping time to the couple of servers that I play on is around 25ms, reported in-game.
I've not played AoC at all so I can't comment on that, unfortunately.
I would recommend that any serious gamer runs the TcpAckFrequency fix as detailed here:
NOTE if you are running Windows Vista this setting may not have any effect - a hotfix is needed which i'm tracking down. This works fine under Windows XP
Type "regedit" in windows "run.." dialog to bring up registry menu
Then find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\
There will be multiple NIC interfaces listed in there, find the one you use to connect to the internet, there will be several interfaces listed (they have long names like {7DBA6DCA-FFE8-4002-A28F-4D2B57AE8383}. Click each one, the right one will have lots of settings in it and you will see your machines IP address listed there somewhere. Right-click in the right hand pane and add a new DWORD value, name it TcpAckFrequency, then right click the entry and click Modify and assign a value of 1.
You can change it back to 2 (default) at a later stage if it affects your other TCP application performance. it tells windows how many TCP packets to wait before sending ACK. if the value is 1, windows will send ACK every time it receives a TCP package.
B.
p.s. - I am on the BBYW Pro package, with Interleaving off on a 8128k synced line.  YMMV.
techguy
Grafter

Re: performance stats to nail a referral

Ah yes, while since I've delved into the registry, thansk for that little tip
He came into work today complaining about latency (think he's on about 5 Meg with what was Pipex's brand freedom2surf.
Though my line aint that great I have to say PN seem to be about the best I have used for general browsing/streaming etc, very quick indeed