cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

offered new contract at higher price

ad47uk
Grafter

offered new contract at higher price

I have about 8 months left on my FTTC 36Mb/s broadband, which cost me £24.58. I logged into plusnet today, and they have an offer for me, they want me to pay £27.75 for another 18 month contract.
That don't make sense, why would I change my contract now to a higher price one?

8 REPLIES 8
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: offered new contract at higher price

Sign up now so you can pay them another £3 per month, never mind the 14% CPI increase in March! Best ignore this 'offer' -- worth as much as all Black Friday offers which is nil -- and contact Retentions near your expiry date after shopping around to check other ISPs.

ad47uk
Grafter

The strange thing is if i go into offers and upgrades, I get an offer that is a few pence cheaper than what I am paying now. Plusnet will need to offer me something in the same price range as now broadband when my contract is up.  £20 at the moment for 36Mb/s. Now we can get open reach fibre, i expect plusnet will trey to get me onto that, but I don't want fibre, if I did I would go for the alternative network that is here.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If FTTP is available, you might not have any choice at the time of renewal / ISP change.

Make no mistake, BT Wholesale / BT Openreach will be inhibiting provision / product change on FTTC ... in a fairly forcible manner.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ad47uk
Grafter

Out of reach FTTP is available, it was turned on in the street last week, and we also have an Alt network here as well. I looked at going to FTTP, but there is no advantage for me, with the hassle and the higher prices. Okay I know that Plus net have a lower speed one which is around the same price I pay and yes I also know that lower speed is higher than what i am getting on FTTC. Well they say it is 74Mb/s, but with a 40Mb minimum guaranteed speed, I thought FTTP was supposed to be more reliable and constant. I can understand that congestion can slow down broadband, but that is one hell of a difference for something that is supposed to be better than what I have.  Another problem I have with FTTP is the long contracts, 24 months is far too long, been there, done that, not doing it again. Now broadband offers 12 months contract on the FTTC packages and are cheaper than Plusnet. i have been with plusnet for a while, but maybe next year it is time to change, also it seems as if BT wants to get rid of plusnet anyway.

If i did jump to FTTP, i would go for the alt network, it is far more advanced than Out of reach network, but again the same thing applies, hassle, 24 month contact, price and i don't need super speeds.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Most services deliver more than people really NEED. The reality is that as the full optical network rolls out, there will be stop sell impositions on copper borne services. There will be no option for users - the conversion is a minor difficulty we will all have to experience.

FTTP MGS being well below the package speed confuses me greatly. I can only conclude that the estimates are wrong or BT Wholesale has not provided enough back haul capacity for the location. Full fibre is not subject to line length speed degradation, cross talk or noise on the line.

The line speed is the sync speed users should see, however there is no means of inspecting the line speed in the ONT. Data speeds measured by users will be predicted on device performance, connection to the router performance, usage concurrency within the home, back haul capacity and the loading on the target test service.

40mbps on FTTP rated 80/20 (or whatever) seems most odd!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ad47uk
Grafter

I know about the stop sell at the moment now broadband don't offer full fibre, that could change in June next year which is when my plusnet contract ends. One of the problems i have with FTTP is the long contracts, 24 months is far too long, been there done that, ended up with a service that was good for the first 12 months and then went to pot after.  18 months is more than long enough to be honest.
If i am going to experience the conversion as you put it then  may as well go on a better network than Openreach, since I do have that option and the other network also do symmetrical broadband, so up is the same speed as down. sadly, 150Mb/s is the slowest they do at £33 and to be honest i really don't want to pay £33 for my broadband.

While it doesn't bother me so much as i already use Voip, the lost of people's landline could be a problem for many, certainly since there is no back up for it.
FTTP MGS as you put it is not good, and looking aty the amount of people that is having problems with FTTP on different forums, including this one, it makes me think that maybe it is not as good as we are led to believe.

It is hassle having fibre installed, it is not just plug in and go thing. I remember the hassle when I first had ADSL and that was a quicker installation than FTTP.
Well I have 7 months or so, we will see what is on offer around that time, which is around june. If I refuse to go to fibre are they going to cut off my broadband? i doubt it since FTTC is still up and running.

I just thought it was funny that they gave me a higher price offer than what I am paying now for the same product.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I would suspect that the measured speed grumbles are more than likely due to doing them over WiFi and on PCs which cannot sustain high data saturation rates.

ad47uk
Grafter

The 40Mb minimum guaranteed speed is what plusnet says, nothing to do with real life speed, if I am paying for a faster speed than I would want a better minimum guaranteed speed than that to be honest.

That only slightly faster than what i get now, so I don't see any point.