cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving rural

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: moving rural

Come on chaps, keep up at the back there. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/moving-rural/m-p/1769695#M89958

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

whistler2
Grafter

Thanks @Alex and @shutter but as @Baldrick1 suggests, I've looked into these and mobile data coverage at my new address is a disaster with providers such as Vodaphone, EE, O2 etc. declaring no coverage for data on any G number. None the less thanks for the suggestions. AT least I now know what MiFi is.

If I may, I'd like to move the discussion to my chosen option of just doing a Plusnet house move at the moment because there's a couple of things I'm not sure about contract wise.

Quick re-cap:

I'm currently on PN unlimited fibre and have about 6 months left on my contract.

I'll be moving to my new address in a couple of weeks time. At this new address, there is no (PN) fibre available. I've decided for the time being to go with PN ADSL - which I'm told will be 0.4Mbps minimum to 3Mbps max.

As I understand it I have two main options here:

1) I can do a straight house move with "no penalty" for down-grading from fibre to ADSL because PN can not provide fibre at my new address. BUT - and here's my problem - I'm struggling to find out what "costs" I'd have to pay for the move process.

2) I can take out a new 18 month contract for ADSL in which case there are NO costs.

Now - the fact is I've actually signed up for 2) above but wondering if I've been slightly lead astray by PN who convinced me it was my best option but TBH it all gets a bit bamboozling on the phone. Of course I'm still in the 14 day cooling off period so I could cancel this.

So - I'd be really grateful if anyone (particularly someone from PN) could explain the pros/cons and costs of the above two options because reading through the T&Cs has left me no wiser.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions so far.

Baldrick1

@whistler2 

My understanding is that if you move on your existing contract having taken up the, again as I understand it, kind offer(!) of being allowed to downgrade to ADSL for the same price that you are paying for fibre then you are liable to a £65 moving charge. This moving charge is zero if you take out a new contract. See the Other charges for Plusnet Broadband and Fibre services section here  https://www.plus.net/help/legal/plusnet-price-guide-for-residential-products/

What you need to take into consideration is the remaining length of your current contract if you stick with it compared with the length of a new contract. If you find that you can't live with your new super slow service and want to go FTTP then the time that you will be locked into Plusnet, unless you are willing to pay cancellation charges, could be a significant deciding factor.

I would get out a spreadsheet and look at the relative costs/risks. At the end of the day the choice is yours.

Moderator and Customer

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Tech Help to Accounts / Billing.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
whistler2
Grafter

Thanks @Baldrick1 

I would get out a spreadsheet and look at the relative costs/risks.

I'd love to. The problem is though that I'd need clear unambiguous costs to put into the spreadsheet and they just don't seem to be clear - to me at least. In the T&Cs I think 9.2 is the crux in my situation: It states:

"9.2. If you have fibre broadband, but we can't provide it at your new home, you can move to our broadband service without penalty."

The question is: What exactly does "without penalty" mean?

If it means "you can keep on your current contract rather than start a new one and there are no charges for moving" then great - but - frankly - who knows?

Looks like I'm going to have to spend another chunk of my life on the phone tomorrow.

ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Indeed, that's how I'd interpret it. Get it "in writing" by speaking to retentions/disconnections, I did similarly when I moved in with someone who already had Plusnet ADSL (I had fibre), my contract was ended with no penalty a few months early thanks to a very sensible, reasonable bloke who took the call. I'd also had recent drops in service speed thanks to Openreach screwing a pair swap up (80 to 45) which possibly leant in my favour, but I don't see why they wouldn't let you see out the remainder of your contract on ADSL for no extra charge.

Don't forget to include the potential cost of a line reactivation, or at worst, a full reconnection which was over double the price of a reactivation when I last checked. Openreach costs which Plusnet forward on.
Baldrick1

I guess that it's not a case of ringing and listening to what the agent guesses that it means but rather what the billing system, which works in mysterious ways, is programmed to do. Hence I agree, you need the options in writing.

Moderator and Customer

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@whistler2 There is also the Wireless Broadband operators to consider. Although I get 80Mb/s (very rural), a fair number of people around these parts have gone the Wireless Broadband route from a company called Quickline. No doubt there is probably some operator offering much the same in your neck of the woods.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Baldrick1

@idonno 

This topic is goung around in ever decreasing circles, see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/moving-rural/m-p/1770664#M53702

Moderator and Customer