Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving home

FIXED
temp
Dabbler

moving home

I'm moving home soon and might be between homes for a few months and without a landline. Need some advice.

I currently have landline Broadband & phone with Plusnet and want to carry this across to my new home and keep my email addresses. But what about the gap inbetween? (Could be a few weeks to a few months.) Is there a temporary solution? Not sure what to do.

With thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: moving home

If you ask Plusnet in advance you can keep your e-mail even if you drop the Plusnet broadband.

If you are in mid-contract, then you should be able to arrange for your account to be kept alive without a physical connection (for two or three months - I did this and I'm aware of others that have too). It means paying for the time without a connection, but may be cheaper than paying the full cancellation cost - you'd have to work out which is cheaper.

temp
Dabbler

I'll ask them about keeping my addies. Thanks, Corringham.

I think I'm out of contract now but dependent on landline for internet, which I use all day. I don't use mobile phones and only have a payg for occasional use so I might have to look into mobile broadband and it's all Greek to me! I think I'd better phone support.

Cheers.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

Well 4G can be a good choice - I use 4G exclusively now (replaced my slow ADSL with much faster 4G earlier this year). it can work out quite cheap - unlimited deals are available from most if not all networks these days. Three have cheap offers, but in many areas there are reports of congestion. I find EE very good in my area (but I only have the choice of Three or EE).

It can be worth trying out some PAYG SIMs to find the best network for your location.

I should add that I work from home, so use the internet all day every day. 4G is better than ADSL, with the only drawback being a slightly erratic latency - everything but serious gaming is OK.

temp
Dabbler

Does this mean you don't use a landline at all?

I am trying to establish working from home and need internet all day. No gaming. I didn't know about unlimited deals so will now look for that. Was reading about payg sim cards. But am stuck on how to the get the card into the laptop!

corringham
Seasoned Champion

Fix

No, I don't have a landline any more. I transferred my landline number to Sipgate so that I can still get incoming calls using VoIP (there is a one-off transfer fee, then no thing more to pay apart from outgoing calls). I use a 4G router to provide all my broadband & WiFi. I use AAISP's L2TP to provide public static IP addresses so that I can run servers at home.

I use EE's business unlimited SIM only, which is actually cheaper than their personal deal (which I think may not be unlimited any more) - £32.40pm inc VAT with unlimited everything.

temp
Dabbler

Wow. I think that price is better than my landline! I've been at this all day trying to work it out. Much still to unpick in your post and to research but I think you've sorted me out!!! Thanks for taking time.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

If you get stuck or have any questions just PM me. Good luck with your move.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I would change your account with PlusNet to e-mail only for when you move. For the time being.

You'd have to pay them a few pound a month (not sure of the cost), but your PlusNet account and e-mail will remain active. Someone can correct me of course.

Once you move and get all the fun and games over, decide what you want to do. Whether to reuse your PlusNet account, I assume they can reactive it and charge you the extra under the same user. Or go somewhere else if you prefer. Depends what is available at your new property, such as Branson Media for example.

Good luck, having been through it before I know how stressful is.

temp
Dabbler

Thanks, Alex. I'll speak with support about this. It's all starting to gel now! Glad I stopped by.  Smiley